Quantcast
Custom orders closed until 2014
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom orders closed until 2014

Custom orders closed until 2014

I am only one man and am aware that the order list has been growing more than I can cope with alone. I have been making plans to keep various streams of work open and evolving. Custom orders, the one off pieces, and Utility line pieces. I did this because I have been intending on training one maybe two people to help and the Utility line would be a very good first step in learning for an apprentice. However a source of potential investment has not come through for me which is a real shame as now is the moment I feel. So I must change my plans slightly to make things efficient with just myself and try to earn the money to make a start training someone the slow and sure way.
    I fully intend on taking custom orders again early 2014. For now however I will feel a lot better catching completely up on work which I have taken deposits for. Names on my list after that will take priority for 2014 orders.
    In the mean time I will be working on the new menu for 2014 as it very much needs updating. I think it will not include mono steel knives, as it is other areas which I feel I excel and need to focus on until I have a helper on board.
    The pricing and options will be updated. Its not so much that the prices will be going up but the products have evolved completely since making the list.
    I would like to work on one off pieces new patterns, and hopefully make an entire set of very high end knives, complete with storage. This time I feel is important to keep things fresh, custom order choices will benefit from this in the future.
    This may seem an odd decision especially following getting some press, but I feel this is what I have to do to do the best I can at this moment in time. And its not for ever.
    I will leave the prices and options list up on my site so I can work on updates as I go, but remove the form for now and replace it with a contact box and a note to say I will be opening custom orders again in 2014.
    Please feel free to let me know how you feel about this, I see you as my friends and respect your opinions.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I find it sad that your backing has dropped out. I think this will be a good move in the future. Keep your head up.
    Chewie's the man.

I can't help but think one of the wealthier members on this board might be interested in being a backer.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Hi Will .. sounds like a strategic move to a real niche market. As your products/finished goods has evolved, so too has the man in terms of knife making.Its a natural progress of a true craftsman..who has to find something stimulating and challenging.

Good luck have fun and as long as you are having fun...it'snot really work!.. maybe hard labour for a masochist.

Look fwd to what you will be coming up next of which I am sure will be exciting and also the incoming knives.

As always, rgds
    d

I think it's always better to do things with your own capital / credit if you can. Not owing anyone anything is a good thing. Slow growth is also safer growth. Still a bummer to have to wait / move slower than you'd like.

I understand not taking specific orders or deposits, but what about just a wait list. So people interested in signing up for "something" can at least get their name in and then once you're caught up and have the new stuff figured out, you can work though the wait list and flesh out who wants what.

I've been on a couple lists for >2yrs.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I know you were excited about the new possibilities with the investor...sorry to hear it didn't happen

Having a lot of work is a good thing though!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Thanks guys your very kind and some good points. I am not intending on stopping doing custom orders for good, just have some space to catch up and refocus the menu and options slightly. Im sure it would be a good idea to open ordering for 2014 before the end of the year and as soon as I have had time to go through the options and pricing.
    I cant really say much more on the grant/investment thing. But I think at this stage its best I build it up on my own. I'm quite relieved actually in a way as I have been in a limbo for weeks not knowing for sure either way. Now i'm just looking forward to doing what I know I can do best and looking forward to some special projects.

If I win the Powerball, you would have a backer as soon as I got the check...and a large order too.

Amazing news on this front guys. I have secured some funding to be able to take the step to train someone through an apprentice scheme. I will not say too much on this, but you know who you are and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity. The next step is finding the right person. I will be delivering a lecture in college soon to blacksmithing students and placing a few adds, so fingers crossed. I will have some minimal expansion of equipment, another grinder or maybe 2 depending on what I buy and some extraction equipment. I have also sourced some local tooling funding, by way of whatever I spend on equipment during the expansion I get half back, If they ever send me the form....needs chasing up. Anyway very excited, I will open custom orders once more once I have had a chance to run through what I will be currently offering and prices. I will likely open orders after the next feather batch.
    The first year training someone will be a struggle no doubt. I am planning 3 epic sets of knives in my most high end materials, including storage. These will also help fund the difficult training period. I will let you know what develops. In the mean time I am catching up on orders and looking for an apprentice.
    Thanks all, have a fab weekend

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    I am planning 3 epic sets of knives
    Well this should be rather good.

Congratulations on the apprenticeship Will.

+ Reply to Thread