Quantcast
Own Design Takeda 240 Gyuto
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Own Design Takeda 240 Gyuto

Own Design Takeda 240 Gyuto

always wanted to make my own designed gyuto so i contacted Shosui at Takeda (i like his blades and the steel in general so thats why i picked him to work with. and he made the blade after my specs.

i designed this blade as a agressive cutter abit of a gamble how it will feel/perform. i wanted a knife with alot of board contact yet a smal belly betwin the tip and heel. Shosui made the blade abit thinner after speaking to him i wanted him to try make the blade from 2mm at the heel and tappering down to very little, also made it 4mm wider at the base so 56mm, even thou the blade is so thin its very stiff and stil got nice waight due to the AS steel. sending this blade to Mike now for a handle and cant wait to try it out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gyuto.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	17789
    Name:  DSC01169.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  14.9 KBName:  DSC01175.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  3.1 KBName:  DSC01176.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  5.6 KBName:  DSC01177.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  17.2 KBName:  DSC01178.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  16.1 KBName:  DSC01179.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  20.5 KB

That looks pretty sweet M - Can't wait to see the finished project and to see your reactions to it as a cutter.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Might have a hard time getting the back of the handle to match with the tip. Looks great. Can't wait to see the end result.
    Chewie's the man.

Wow that's the best of both worlds. That's what I would idealize my Takeda to be.

Sweet!!

Very nice!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Magnus you have excellent taste my friend! Can't wait to see what Mike does with it.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Cheers guys. dont know if its gonna be good or bad thou only way to find out is to try it

Nice! Curious to see what you think of the performance once you have the opportunity to use it!

Very cool; looks great, and certainly unique!
    I didn't know takeda did 1-off customs, how long was the wait time?

The transition from flat to tip happens much further back on the blade than any others i've seen. This gives you a much larger flat/ sweet spot near the tip. The only detriment I could see would be in handling larger product / bigger piles where you'd want a bigger rear flat spot (and in rock chopping, but who cares about that). But this shouldn't be a problem at all for the majority of home tasks. I bet that thin tip and big flat area make it awesome for onions.

I also like the upward angle to the handle. Shouldn't be a problem with a tall blade unless you have extra high counters and / or are pretty short yourself.

Can't wait to see it in action!
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded