Own Design Takeda 240 Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Magnus

Reaction score
always wanted to make my own designed gyuto so i contacted Shosui at Takeda (i like his blades and the steel in general so thats why i picked him to work with. and he made the blade after my specs.

i designed this blade as a agressive cutter abit of a gamble how it will feel/perform. i wanted a knife with alot of board contact yet a smal belly betwin the tip and heel. Shosui made the blade abit thinner after speaking to him i wanted him to try make the blade from 2mm at the heel and tappering down to very little, also made it 4mm wider at the base so 56mm, even thou the blade is so thin its very stiff and stil got nice waight due to the AS steel. sending this blade to Mike now for a handle and cant wait to try it out.

gyuto.jpg
DSC01169.jpgDSC01175.jpgDSC01176.jpgDSC01177.jpgDSC01178.jpgDSC01179.jpg

That looks pretty sweet M - Can't wait to see the finished project and to see your reactions to it as a cutter.

Might have a hard time getting the back of the handle to match with the tip. Looks great. Can't wait to see the end result.

Wow that's the best of both worlds. That's what I would idealize my Takeda to be.

Magnus you have excellent taste my friend! Can't wait to see what Mike does with it.

Cheers guys. dont know if its gonna be good or bad thou :) only way to find out is to try it :D

Nice! Curious to see what you think of the performance once you have the opportunity to use it!

Very cool; looks great, and certainly unique!
I didn't know takeda did 1-off customs, how long was the wait time?

The transition from flat to tip happens much further back on the blade than any others i've seen. This gives you a much larger flat/ sweet spot near the tip. The only detriment I could see would be in handling larger product / bigger piles where you'd want a bigger rear flat spot (and in rock chopping, but who cares about that). But this shouldn't be a problem at all for the majority of home tasks. I bet that thin tip and big flat area make it awesome for onions.

I also like the upward angle to the handle. Shouldn't be a problem with a tall blade unless you have extra high counters and / or are pretty short yourself.

Can't wait to see it in action!

Very cool; looks great, and certainly unique!
I didn't know takeda did 1-off customs, how long was the wait time?

Thanks Justin.

Yeah i didnt know he did that,i just asked him and sent him the drawing and he was game. took 1,5 months lol not very long for a custom order.

I decided to try have the tang in a angle, i think it will make the knife more agressive while cutting with the tipp (I Think :D).

Magnus, But the real question here is, will your new takeda produce a close shave? I bet you've got some 4000 YO secret lotion selected? I'm only half kidding. :chin:

Lmao. We'll see :rolleyes2:

ive talked to takeda about a custom recently. theyre definitely game for customizations, they were willing to make me one with a 4-5mm spine.

If Magnus's knife performs the way I think it will perform, we should lobby Takeda to make this a permanent KFF fixture in his line.

That profile (two flat sweet spots with a gentle belly) is exactly what is on my Shun Fuji 10 inch chef's. It's such a functional profile.

and shes done. cant wait to have a swing with it. :doublethumbsup: i might do a passaround with it if there is intrest.

gyuto.jpg
handle takeda.jpg
DSC01169 - Kopia.jpg
IMG_4264.jpg
IMG_4267.jpg
IMG_4268.jpg
IMG_4274.jpg

Wow Magnus, your design is stunning and Takeda seems to have complied to perfection! Great collaboration and awesome end result!! Please let us know how it performs with a thorough review! :)

Looks amazing I want one too! :doublethumbsup:

I swear, this makes me want to add another sibling to my existing two Takeda gyutos.

Reminds me a bit of a funayuki profile. Looks awesome none the less.

Back