Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS Shigefusa gyuto kasumi 225mm

FS Shigefusa gyuto kasumi 225mm

I hate to do this, but here it goes: I had ordered this knife from So about 2 1/2 years ago, and after I had given up on it already, So notified me a few weeks ago that it has arrived. Unfortunately, this is the worst moment for me to buy a knife since I have a hole bunch of financial commitments this summer (and a car that may fall apart any minute), so I wanted to see if anybody is interested in it. If not, I'll just take it.

It's a 225mm kasumi wa gyuto. The knife currently is still with So, but I can ask for him to EMS it over anytime. The knife comes without a handle, but there are solutions for that... The knife cost me around $400. That would also be the cost for you as it is (i.e. No handle). For $500 you will get it with one of the off-the-shelf handles that I made for Dave, $550 with a custom handle.

To be honest, I am not quite up to date on the Shigefusa prices, if this is totally off or if you are interested, please let me know by PM.

Stefan

Stefan, I moved this over here since this is a personal sale, hope this is OK with you.

Stefan,
    your pricing is about right. 240mm at JWW costs $430.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'm pretty sure JWW doesn't have them in stock though, so it'll be a 2 year wait at that price.
    - Sean

225mm is a special order.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Stefan:

Are the dimensions, e.g. thickness, height, shape, different from the standard 240 Shigefusa wa-gyuto?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I will try to answer this for Stefan, as I have some experience with both standard and custom orders. I had one 225mm custom that I didn't specify thickness and and dimentions were the following:
    Height - 50mm
    Lenght (tip to handle) - 250mm
    Cutting edge - 230mm
    Thickness (over heel) - 3mm
    Middle spine - 1.4mm
    .5" from the tip - .4mm

Standard 240mm gyuto
    Height - 58mm
    Length (tip to handle) - 258mm
    Cutting edge - 240mm
    Thickness (over heel) - 3mm
    Middle spine - 1.6mm
    .5" from the tip - .6mm

Some standard kitaeji 240mm gyuto are thinner than custom thickness 240mm gyuto. It's ground by hand, so there will be some variation and required thickness will be approximate.

M

Wow, glad you finally got your knife from So. Took a long while.

I remember you put in order after I got my Shigefusa from So. Sucks that it took so long. Did So raise the price he quoted you two years ago?

Jay

I'm still wondering why it took you 2,5 years to get that. Btw, I like my 225mm custom gyutou, I found it to be my perfect length for a gyutou in a slightly smaller kitchen, it's still long enough to slice a certain things also.

Yeah,
    Stefan ordered a few month after I ordered my kitaeji. I got it in August/September 2008, about 3.5 months later. I was suprised by how fast it was. I guess the flood came afterward. Anyway, don't feel bad. The shigefusa hadn't been with me much of the 3 year period anyway.