Can you ID this new Wa-Kiritsuke?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gastr0n0my

Reaction score
Hey, first time poster here. Just received this knife as a gift, and was wondering if anyone could name the maker.

210mm, ebony + buffalo handle, maker?...

d3FsfoA.jpg

ki5a04h.jpg

nGOX5Pj.jpg

Onx4kI7.jpg

Thanks much, I'll post pics of the rest of my kit soon. Carter, Carter thinned Yoshikane, Tadatsuna, Misono, Suisin, Hiromoto, and others.

Nice knife! I am no help with the kanji but pretty sure that is actually a gyuto with a kiritsuke tip. A true kiritsuke would be a single bevel knife. Most of the ones I have seen seem to be extremely flat and this one looks to have a bit more curve to the belly. I believe Jon from JKI had a name for this style of knife but can't recall what it was.
Cheers

Is that rust near the primary bevel, if so deal with that ASAP!

Got very excited by the first photo, thought It would be kiritsuke in the strict meaning and 21cm! WOW

Unfortunately...

Beautifull knife nonetheless.

wa-kiritsuke is often used in japan to specify a double bevel version (at least used by retailers... not so much by craftsmen). I like to call them kiritsuke-shaped wa-gyutos or ken-saki gyutos... it feels more descriptive and accurate to me.

It says "Japan. Made by Kawamura" (just as people before me already pointed out), and on the back of the blade it says "white"

Back