My 'last meal'

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
I know, you will despise me because I didn't take pictures... But I really just forgot, I was too excited about the food... Not usually one to gorge myself before going on a diet, a friend and I decided today to treat ourselves. I want to start losing weight, so I thought I might as well... Not that I would avoid that kind of food completely in the future, but we did probably eat a bit more than someone on a calorie restriction. Hiroshi's restaurant in Honolulu is a great place to eat, and they have 2 fabulous deals: The 4-course all-local and seasonal dinner on Sun and Mon for $35 (+ $14 wine pairing), and Happy Hour between 5:30 and 6:30 when all food items are half price at the bar. Martinis are $3.50 during that time, so I had a classic one, 2 glasses of Gruener Veltliner, espresso, and a glass of Caol Ila 12. My friend and I shared the following:

Portuguese Sausage Potstickers 10.95
wilted choi sum, sweet corn, kim chee foam & truffled ponzu sauce

Big Island Baby Abalone "Katsu" 14.95
ginger,shiso and roasted garlic brown butter

Seared Sea Scallops 12.95
bacon-tomato takana ragout with kabayaki butter sauce & tobiko

LaBelle Farms Foie Gras Sushi 12.95
teriyaki glaze & essence of shiso

Duo of Contemporary Sushi 14.95
torched cold smoked Island hamachi & sweet miso glazed salmon

LaBelle Farms Foie Gras 15.75
crispy Hamakua organic mushrooms, kabayaki sauce, white truffle
oil & raspberry reduction & mint

Crispy Coriander Dusted Duck Leg 13.95
Shintaku haricot vert, Chinese five spice pepper & soy star anise sauce

HAWAIIAN KAMPACHI (Almaco Jack)
Crispy Skin 25.95
Mrs. Cheng’s tofu, fennel, edamame, Kahuku corn,
Hau’ula dried tomato-hijiki broth

Again, all at half the price listed. Everything was just delightful. I could have survived without the breaded and fried abalone (=katsu), but would not want to have missed any of the other courses. I asked the cute bar girl to marry me and whether I could move in there but she was hesitant ;) At that same place I had hamachi kama (collar) last week, probably the best pieces of fish I had - ever. Unfortunately, they didn't have any today. Anyway, the home fridge is almost cleared of 'evil' foods, and it's time to think about portion control from now on.

Stefan

That sounds amazing. I went to the big island a few years back and the food sucked. I need to get over to Honolulu. I've heard they have a great food seen there. Those are crazy prices.

I probably should have mentioned, except for the kampachi these are what they call 'Eurasian tapas', so they are smaller portions. But still big enough for two good eaters to pass on dessert.

Stefan

Sounds incredible! I need to make it out there sometime.

Sounds like a spectacular meal and a great way to move on to your adventure

Latest posts

Back