Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gyuto under $200 for Newbie

I was in a very similar position to you and I bought a CarboNext after advice here and I love it. I have since bought a Misono Swedish Sujihiki, which was a lot dearer, and think I actually prefer the CarboNext.

Combi stone is fine I think. I would suggest 1000/6000 or something similar.

The only other one in your list that I would even consider over the CN is the Gesshin (Uraku?). I have never seen one but they seem to come highly recommended. But still, I would say get the CarboNext. If it helps, I was expecting it to look pretty dull from all the online photos, and when it arrived I was amazed by how nice it was.

Robert

Good insight, Robert.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I too am looking a Gyuto also ask im sick of my Shun's massive belly. Just stumbled on JCK. Their brand is having a sale and the KG-7 (gyuto 240mm) is at $115.00 from $154.00, with a HRc 60.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    I have since bought a Misono Swedish Sujihiki, which was a lot dearer, and think I actually prefer the CarboNext.

Robert
    Why do you tend to prefer the CN over the Misono Swedish - apart from price, reactivity and dragon?

I really like the Carbonext, it has performed as well as knives I have that cost 2 or 3 times more

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I really like the Carbonext, it has performed as well as knives I have that cost 2 or 3 times more
    +1. My #1 recommendation for a newbie J-knife. A great deal at 130 clams. People say it's boring, but it's an awesome performer. Thin, hard enough, tough, and a fabulous value. I prefer it over my Ginga which has a better fit and finish and costs significantly more.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    +1. My #1 recommendation for a newbie J-knife. A great deal at 130 clams. People say it's boring, but it's an awesome performer. Thin, hard enough, tough, and a fabulous value. I prefer it over my Ginga which has a better fit and finish and costs significantly more.
    You prefer the CarboNext's performance over the Ginga? Do you have a Gesshin Ginga or a Ashi Hamono Ginga?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I have an Ashi Ginga at HRC 61. Nice and thin and a great performer too. I just like how the semistainless behaves. My GF's mother now owns my CarboNext. She loves it. She sharpened her German knife down to bluntness over 10 years, and it is a revelation for her.

Suisin Inox is another capable blade in your price range

Hiro g3 is also another great one