Quantcast
Gyuto under $200 for Newbie - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gyuto under $200 for Newbie

suisin

Quote Originally Posted by smilesenpai View Post
    Is it best to keep away from no name knives? I see some that just say "VG-10 Hammered Damascus Gyuto" from echefknife and appear good bang for the dollar.

So hand made knives are much better. What is a handmade with the same specifications as what sparetire55 asks for?
    This isn't really "no-name", it's a Yoshihiro. The blade is OEM and offered by many companies.

I'll vouch for Yoshihiro, not talked about much with all these new lines popping up in the last few years.

I have their blue 2 hongasumi yanagi and a 270mm stainless gyuto. The gyuto has become my main work gyuto, it's far less renown than my other knives but still remain my go to. It sharpens really well for a stainless. I use this way more than my hd or my recently sold ux10.

Not a fan of the Suisin inox steel, found it dulled easily and wasn't very enjoyable to sharpen. This is based on using/sharpening a coworker's knife over a period of a year.

So Suisin uses the Inox blend of metal in that knife right? Isn't that the same metal composition that is in a Victorinox, just it's forged instead of stamped?

no. inox is just short for "inoxidable".

I have not personally used Suisin, but have sharpened a couple of the ones I have given as gifts. I think I have given 4 to date, and have all been very well received. Heard a lot of praise, although they were gifts, lol. Sharpens easily and well.

I have a Suisin Inox western that I bought as my first gyuto. It sharpens easily on my 1K/6K combo stone and will get pretty sharp. The handle is comfortable but it's not the most eye catching handle.

+ Reply to Thread