Hamon?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartman35

Reaction score
I just watched a video by Murray Carter where he defines Hamon as the wavy line near the edge that separates the hard steel core from the softer cladding...

I always thought that a Hamon was the wavy line near the spine on Honyaki blades caused by the differential heat treatment.

Can the term be used for either of these or is Murray wrong?

Just wondering,

thanks

It is the line caused by differential hardening separating hard/soft zones of the same steel. Although more folks seem to be using it to mean the line between cladding/core.

Reede is correct. Although those that seem to use it incorrectly, do this from my experience because they don't realize that laminated steel and differential heat treatment are two very different processes/results.

That's what I figured...It's just that Murray Carter shouldn't really be one of "most guys", should he? I mean a career bladesmith with years of training in Japan??

That's what I figured...It's just that Murray Carter shouldn't really be one of "most guys", should he? I mean a career bladesmith with years of training in Japan??

Yep, I wonder if he's dumbing things down for the masses?

Well, for a 1000$ a day you can get the answer straight from the horses mouth. :rofl2:

Okay, I just rewatched the video and what he actually said was "the wavy line near the edge of the blade that separates the hardened steel at the edge from the softer steel behind it"...I didn't realize that on a katana the hamon is much closer to the edge than on a kitchen knife, and maybe I misunderstood what he meant. If so, sorry Murray...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8daxlCwXunc

4:45

I just watch the video and I think you misunderstood him. I can see how it would be easy to assume that he was talking about laminated blades, because he makes laminated blades, but he's clearly describing what a hamon is.

Hamon? When I read it, I remember how tasty spanish Jamon (reads as Hamon) is. Nom Nom Nom
jamon.jpg

I just watch the video and I think you misunderstood him. I can see how it would be easy to assume that he was talking about laminated blades, because he makes laminated blades, but he's clearly describing what a hamon is.

Yeah...I kinda figured that. What got me was that he said "near the edge" and all hamons that I've seen on kitchen knives are much closer to the spine than the edge. On a katana however, it is much closer to the edge

Back