Sous Vide Breaking News: A $179 Sous Vide Circulator from Modernist Cuisine Is Coming Soon!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also it is a side project of Scott Heimendinger, Director of Applied Research at Modernist Cuisine, NOT an official product of theirs.

I have my science project one I hobbled together, but went ahead and backed this one. Looks like a good design for the price.

interesting.. I'm in as a backer. Hope it works well.

So Stefan, Chuck, and Jim, how are you liking yours?

I like my demi. Not sure how much I would if I had paid the full price, but I have used it and plan on using it more in the future - just have to move apartments again, first.

Stefan

just pledged. can't wait to get one in my hands and see if it's really as good as the polyscience we use at the restaurant.

I didn't even know there was an option.

k.

Blue is the default/public option. For Kickstarter backers, there will be a green option if they reach their next funding goal. I think the blue looks better though.

I'm in for one. What the hell. Might as hell have one of every kitchen item. Anyone got recipes to try for when it eventually comes?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on vacuum storage bags and machine?

You can use Foo saver freezer bags from Costco. One of those Foodsaver machine are pretty decent for home use. The drawback is the seal strip eventually wears out and need to replace (it's pretty cheap) and it is more difficult deal with liquid or moist ingredients.

If you go the chamber vacuum system route, it gets expensive (big and heavy.)

Rack of lamb with rosemary and garlic is easy and always a crowd pleaser. :)

I'm in for one. What the hell. Might as hell have one of every kitchen item. Anyone got recipes to try for when it eventually comes?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation on vacuum storage bags and machine?

The FoodSaver things are OK, but you can't do liquids with them. I'm saving up for a chamber vac...unfortunately a lightning strike is moving my goal farther away.

RE Recipes...check out "Modernist Cuisine @ Home"....great place to get started with all kinds of modernist cooking.

There are also some "sous vide only" books out there...but I haven't read any so I can't make a recommendation.

If you are willing to waste a fair amount of the bag material there is a trick to do liquids in a foodsaver that works Ok if not perfectly. (Freezing of course works perfectly but may be overkill.)

namely position the foodsaver so it is at the edge fo the counter, make the bag big enough so that you can hand it over the edge with a fair amount of room before the edge of the bag touches the sealing strip. Now run the foodsaver, the liquid will creep up but if you watch it and seal the bag manually when the liquid is getting too close to the sealing strip, this process usually works well enough...

Sealing Bags w SV.

Ideal? No

IMAG0432.jpg

Do-able? Yes

WIth a lot of liquid I'll put a 2nd seal on bag.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

[video=youtube;onPEtV54a00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onPEtV54a00[/video]

found this vid from tested on the sansaire, same people from mythbusters

=D

i'll just wait and see on how their products lasts then make the decision to order. =D

Back