Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $500 budget for home cook gyuto

not to mention that local store like victoria's basement has some good quality and large enough end-grain boards for less than < $50.

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    For beginners, I think the simpler the better. Using more than one stone is difficult, let alone using a three stone progression. With practice, you can get a really nice working edge with one stone. Using a stone flattener leads to predictable, consistent results.
    Yes! I don't think there's much point in using more than one stone until you can sharpen well. Start with a 1-2k stone, and keep practicing until you can push-cut a soft tomato after only that stone. Until then, higher grit stones won't make your edge any better, and are more likely to frustrate you. IMO a strop is a better buy for beginners - it can get a mediocre edge serviceably sharp by evening out inconsistencies without requiring a lot of skill.

Don't listen to these Knife nerds.... don't go tiptoeing into the shallow end of the pool.... jump your ass right into the deep end.... go buy a five to six hundred dollar Gyuto...beat it
    ..love it....then you will go buy another one...then another one...then another...etc.

I think I'm one of few guys who isn't against edge grain boards. I like the feedback, and they are not terribly damaging to the edge of your knife.

Anywho, for $500, your options are endless. For what it's worth, my King 1k has about 100 sharpenings left in it, and I've had this one for about 2.5 years....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I have some acacia end-grain boards from Peters of Kensington which I hardly ever bother with any more because they are so big and cumbersome. I just use supermarket poly boards now and I think they are actually easier on my edges.

I second Mario's opinion. Heck maybe even get in line to get one of his knives, they are very nice. Loving mine so far.

If you are just about to start to learn sharpening, than something like king 1000 and 6000 (there is a combination stone too) or similiar. It will give you all you need. I would rather start there than with a single stone only. As you say - you will start learning on some of your less valuable knives. Then get a decen cutting board and see how much you have left for the knife. If you start with knife and it will turn more expensive, than you may be out of budget for the board and stones.

Just one word - there are really great knives for about $200 - $300 out there - try to resist those more expensive ones - there is a good chance that once you get the grip of the things you will find out that different blade shape or geometry is what you really want and you will end up trading the knife for a different one (maybe not, of course).

I am not sure about the cost, but I would throw a Yoshikane SKD (stainles clad semistainless core) in the bunch.

But a good start would be to contact Maksim at JNS and Jon at JKI - you will get good advice taylored to your needs and budget.

Look, to cut thru the bulldust, buy a starter knife and learn how to sharpen it ... and destroy it in the process and then you will be in a position to buy a knife that costs more than $100... or just go to Moore Park Supacenter and get yeself a Shun or Yaxell. Then you will appreciate the premium knife all the more.

Recommended starters are Fujiwara FKM (stainless) or FKH (carbon) from JCK.

I have a JCK 1000/4000 hardly used if your interested.....

That's a nice stone. I bought one for my sister.