Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $500 budget for home cook gyuto

$500 budget for home cook gyuto

Australia

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Wa-Gyuto

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $500 incl delivery, hopefully will have change for a cutting board

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for?
    All-round chef knife, wont be cutting bone or anything. will probably get a deba and petty in due course.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    whustoff chef knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
    no

What cutting motions do you primarily use?
    Open to learn better technique

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I am after a beautifully crafted piece that will make cooking even more of a joy. it should have good edge retention as I have not yet learned to use japanese stones (have pro *** knife sharpeners nearby) and would Ideally be not too fragile.
    I like octagonal handles and particularly like the look of burnt chestnut but I am open to anything really.
    I do not like damascus but I really like that 'hamon line' look that you get from cladding or other manufacturing techniques.
    I was originally looking at the Gengetsu 240mm Gyuto until they all sold out.
    I am open to full carbon knives but would like some advice as it will be a knife I use every other day in the kitchen

I must stress that the most important thing to me in this knife will be the level of craftmanship.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
    I will purchase a good board to use this knife with

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    No, there is a professional japanese knife sharpener nearby

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes. verry. just not on this knife, maybe on some old junky knives

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes in the future

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Thanks for any recommendations you guys can make. I am keen to check them all out.

If you like Gengetsu I would advise you take a look at Yoshikane, which are available in a variety of excellent steels and finishes, both stainless-clad and iron(will rust/patina) clad.

You could get a itinomonn from Maksim @ JNS, he could put an octagonal burnt chestnut handle on it for you. You could also grab a JNS 1000 stone as well.
    http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...40mm-wa-gyuto/
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

If there is no professional sharpener near you, I'd first get a less expensive knife and practice sharpening before I shell out 500 dollars on a beauty.

dont know what got censored there but it meant to say "i have a professional japanese knife sharpener nearby"

welcome mate, i'd for a shigefusa 240mm gyuto which just fits your budget. hard to find one new though, may have wait for maxim to restock.

Wow. So many options in that budget. Is there any chance at all of getting your hands on some before you buy? It might save you a lot of pain.

As you come from German knives, you may first want to explore the world of Japanese knives by buying a basic gyuto, and develop your technique and preferences. So you see what kind of blade may suit you before spending all that money.

thanks for the reply's guys.
    I understand what you mean about buying an entry level knife first. I have a habit of buying the best quality I can afford but I guess the budget should be $500 for knife, sharpening, shipping and board.
    too bad because Im really liking the look and sound of the gesshin heiji. does anyone have any experience with the kochi migaki?

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and feedback.

David, Welcome to the forum!

Pretty much any advise you get today will invariable shift, especially the more time you spend on KKF. Everyone's posted some good suggestions, but mine would be to hold on to that $ and be patient. Your ideal knife will find you.

Keep reading the forum, asking questions and educating yourself before spending $500 on a tool that you really don't know how to use/maintain. You should be able to get a very very sweet blade for $200 or less. As others have suggested, the buy a couple of stones, a ceramic rod and maybe a strop. Then learn how to use them. taking them to someone else is not a sustainable practice. Sharpening can be learned quickly. No Joke.

Remember Gyutos are like Layes potato chips, you can't have just one.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.