Quantcast
Best Ceramic Honing Rod
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Ceramic Honing Rod

Best Ceramic Honing Rod

For those of you who use Ceramic Honing Rods:

Can you tell me which ones you like best?

If you have used the Mac white and black rods, can you tell me if you noticed a significant difference between the white (1200) and black (2000)?

And, if any of you have compared rods side by side, e.g. Idahone, Mac, etc., can you tell me how they compared?

Thanks.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Mike, I've got the Idahone 1200. Its hard to believe its only 1200 as this thing feels as smooth as a baby's a-s-s. For maitenence, I pull it across the rod twice on each side. As Bob Kramer suggest at about 6 LBS of pressure (estimate) then two swipes on a balsa loaded w/boron carbide and lightly twice across cow leather loaded with 1micron diamond.

Beautifully sharp and bity.

The rod works great for all steels except for AS. AS just laughs at the rod. I don't know why they hate each other so much. Rod looooves white steel though.

I've had the rod for about a year now, its saved me lots of time resharpening and I'm absolutely certain it will make my knives last longer as I'm sharpening less. FYIW
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Why that huge pressure (6lbs)??

Ben, Thats what Bob reccomends. I ain't going to argue with him, ya know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUdrRE7W0b4
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

I was wondering how he knew when he had 6 pounds of pressure. Now I know. Oh my gosh, Bob Kramer uses a standard butcher's steel on his knives!

He has to use a Zwilling hone because well... he's being paid. There's no replacement for size.. and well.... a 12-inch Dickoron oval steel is like a self-defense weapon and steel in one.

I don't think he means 6 pounds of pressure when it comes to ceramic rods. Only steels.

He also recommends 4-6 pounds of pressure on sharpening stones. Puts the knife on a scale to determine the pressure.

That seems like such a lot.. especially when I'm trying to avoid a burr. Who am I to argue. It's Kramer.

I have a Messemeister 12 inch ceramic rod. It does an excellent job for $30. I don't know about the mac... Hope this helps.

I forgot to include this question in my original post:

Which knives are you using a honing rod for?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"