Quantcast
Best Ceramic Honing Rod - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Ceramic Honing Rod

I like the Mac black though I wouldn't exactly say I'm an expert. I've used Global and Ikea ones and the Mac is way better than them both though the Ikea is great for the money. I got the Mac because I kept breaking the others in work and I've dropped it a few times and it didn't break. I have every knife I have owned on it, white steel, blue steel, Niolox, HD steel, Carbonext steel, VG10, AEB-L and to be honest they all seemed to work out ok with it. Even highly asymmetric knives, again, they worked fine

Thanks, Steven. I was hoping you would see this thread and offer your opinion.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I've had a few. My current fav is the DMT fine.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I swear by the Mac white. It's compact and fits easily in my kit bag. No matter what happens, I can always bring an edge back by giving a couple of gentle swipes. The only drawback is that it's not indestructible. My last one survived for eight years before it was knocked off a counter onto a concrete floor. Needless to say, the floor won. Given the opportunity, I tried the DMT fine ceramic, but the fingerguard on the handle was way too big, and honestly, it was simply too long to live in my bag. It's been relegated to home knife block duty and a new low profile Mac is back in the bag. The Mac fits the kit, and takes up comparatively little space on my station.

First had wusthof white which was 3k grit. That thing is worthless, might as well strop on a stone. Replaced with a black mac, love it, leaves a lot of bite.

I own the revised mac unbreakable.

it's ok, I only got it because my chef harped on me for not having a honing rod. I much prefer using a strop or just touching up on a high grit stone. The rod is like methadone, only gives a temporary fix, never as good as the real thing.

I only use it if I'm crushed with a lot of crusty meat orders.

live by my Mac Black. That and a little stropping go a long way for me. Just hate that damned rubber protective tip on the end. Mine is all jacked up from getting used to the short length when I first got it over a year ago.

I have had an idahone for probably 7 years and use it often and could not be happier. I have not used any other name brand ceramics, just so no name stuff from a cutlery store for a few bucks and it sucked.

I use an ikea one, only for emergencies, and for sixteen bucks, rate it very highly. My little brother has a Mac black - he is a home user only - but that hone can stretch his fujiwara fkm for six months of home use before I need to sharpen it for him.

I've tried a bunch of the ceramic rods over the years.

I was very excited about the MAC black rod when it first came out. The construction was pretty different than a standard ceramic rod (it was a steel rod filled with silicon to absorb vibration from falls and then coated with fine ceramic). It was a really great rod. While it broke less often, it is not indestructible and I think that was a problem for MAC. It was also quite a fine rod, which is FANTASTIC for the many of us that hone often. It didn't work well for the many cooks that hone every few weeks. Because of this, MAC redeveloped their rod to use a coarser abrasive and to put abrasive grooves going down the sides. I find that the abrasive lines going down the side are horrible and often cause micro-fractures. I wish the original MAC rod that came out 3-4 years ago would come back since it was great!

The standard ceramic rod that is found most anywhere and has the black handle (comes in white 1200 grit) and grey (coarser) is a really good rod. It seems like it has just the right amount of abrasiveness and is remarkably inexpensive. There are better grades of ceramic used (Spyderco came out with a ceramic rod a number of years back that is beautiful quality ceramic) but it doesn't seem to really affect the quality of honing. I've found that creating a flat spot in the wood handle so that it doesn't roll does wonders for the longevity of the rod. A black paint pen makes it look like the rod was designed that way.

As a side note, it is really important to use ceramic cleaners to get metal dust out of ceramic rods if you don't want to see micro-chipping happening to the edge as metal dust builds up.

For what it is worth, when I was apprenticing under Bob Kramer, he was a huge advocate of ceramic rods and wouldn't ever use anything else between sharpenings.

+ Reply to Thread