Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Narrow profile carbon wa-gyuto?

Narrow profile carbon wa-gyuto?

I'm in the market for a new wa-gyuto, must be all carbon (either soft-iron clad, or mono-steel) with a narrow profile. My current knife is 43mm tall, very flat profile and nimble, which I love about it. It's also stainless, which is boring, and thick behind the edge, which just plain sucks (if I told you I couldn't mention the maker, you could probably guess which knife it is ).

240mm preferred, but willing to go up to 270mm if the blade edge is actually ~255 + machi. The height is more important to me though, the shorter the better. Any suggestions?

Perhaps pretty obvious but your criteria sounds exactly like a Masamoto KS though I'm not sure JCK or Korin have any in stock at present

The new Takedas look pretty short.

The Masamoto looks a little tall, but it's hard to tell from photos. Maybe I'm OCD, but I wish more sellers would take pictures perpendicular to the face of the blade.

The Sasanosha? That shape looks perfect... but I've never been that interested in Takedas though, because I've heard the spine steel is soft and can be bent if you're not careful with it?

They have a new stainless clad line up, but as for being bent I am sure any knife would if not being treated properly.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    The Masamoto looks a little tall, but it's hard to tell from photos. Maybe I'm OCD, but I wish more sellers would take pictures perpendicular to the face of the blade.
    My ks is 48mm and also was reground by Marko so the original might have been even a bit taller. But I agree with you, ocd and all - I am pretty particular with the height.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post

The Sasanosha? That shape looks perfect... but I've never been that interested in Takedas though, because I've heard the spine steel is soft and can be bent if you're not careful with it?
    My KS measures 48 mm at the heel.

Maybe it's time to go custom?
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Gyuto-hiki me thinks...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

my last Konosuke 300mm white steel sujihiki was 43mm at the heel. the 300mm Kono wasn't much longer than my 270 Heiji gyuto...

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Gyuto-hiki
    There are such things?! Sounds perfect. Now I need to find one exactly 42.37mm tall...