Narrow profile carbon wa-gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceconvoy

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new wa-gyuto, must be all carbon (either soft-iron clad, or mono-steel) with a narrow profile. My current knife is 43mm tall, very flat profile and nimble, which I love about it. It's also stainless, which is boring, and thick behind the edge, which just plain sucks (if I told you I couldn't mention the maker, you could probably guess which knife it is :) ).

240mm preferred, but willing to go up to 270mm if the blade edge is actually ~255 + machi. The height is more important to me though, the shorter the better. Any suggestions?

Perhaps pretty obvious but your criteria sounds exactly like a Masamoto KS though I'm not sure JCK or Korin have any in stock at present

The Masamoto looks a little tall, but it's hard to tell from photos. Maybe I'm OCD, but I wish more sellers would take pictures perpendicular to the face of the blade.

The Sasanosha? That shape looks perfect... but I've never been that interested in Takedas though, because I've heard the spine steel is soft and can be bent if you're not careful with it?

They have a new stainless clad line up, but as for being bent I am sure any knife would if not being treated properly.

The Masamoto looks a little tall, but it's hard to tell from photos. Maybe I'm OCD, but I wish more sellers would take pictures perpendicular to the face of the blade.

My ks is 48mm and also was reground by Marko so the original might have been even a bit taller. But I agree with you, ocd and all - I am pretty particular with the height.

The Sasanosha? That shape looks perfect... but I've never been that interested in Takedas though, because I've heard the spine steel is soft and can be bent if you're not careful with it?

My KS measures 48 mm at the heel.

Maybe it's time to go custom?

my last Konosuke 300mm white steel sujihiki was 43mm at the heel. the 300mm Kono wasn't much longer than my 270 Heiji gyuto...

Ashi Hamono takes custom orders.

A-types are short. Semi stainless. The recent 240's I've seen are not thick but could still benefit from a little thinning...

Maybe try to find a tall sujihiki instead.....

LOL...I was thinking the samething; however, spaceconvoy wants exactly 42.37mm tall......custom knife is only way!!

LOL...I was thinking the samething; however, spaceconvoy wants exactly 42.37mm tall......custom knife is only way!!

At least until the first sharpening session...
:groucho:

I'll probably have a rodrigue "mid tech" for sale here shortly if I ever get it back ;x. It's not carbon but it is a low rider and very very thin. Wa handled too.

Latest posts

Back