Sharpening Station -- Version 2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, a few weeks ago I posted on my new sharpening station. I thought I would send a nearly finished photo.

Upgrades include:

* Sanded surface with high performance floor enamel coating
* Panavise from Jantz
* Anti-fatigue mat
* Two swing-arm lamps (one with magnification)
* Magnetic knife rack
* Some peg board organization
* Harbor Freight belt stander (I still have to buy all the belts I want)
* And finally, a man cave lounge chair

Of course, Marko has made that nice in-sinch station, so I am already thinking about that, but this space will keep me (and my wife) happy for some time. She already thinks I am going to spend too much time out there.

k.

Oh yeah, I also used the improvements as an excuse to upgrade my screwdrivers. I got some nice Witte and Wiha sets.

sharpening_station2.jpg

Man that is pretty sweet. I think I'm going to get the same workbench hardware when I can afford to. You going to have a go at making knives too?

Man that is pretty sweet. I think I'm going to get the same workbench hardware when I can afford to. You going to have a go at making knives too?

No knife making for me. I know my limitations (at least for now). Maybe when my daughter is a teenager and starts dating, scary knives will be in order ;)

k.

You should get yourself a carpenters vice to attach to the side of your station. Sometimes you need something that can rally clamp down on stuff.

Hey Mr. Drinky, great set up. And, when you have the new boyfriend-of-the-week over, I'll lend you my .50 Barrett to clean on the kitchen table. You can use the old line, "son, this can put a hole in a man the size of a fist, you know what I mean? Hey boy, I say boy, where ya going...?"

Good fatherly stuff right there I tell ya.
-M

Lol. That's funny man.

I thought it was a ballsy move of my father-in-law to give me a gun (with ammunition) as a gift at Thanksgiving. I mean that is a seriously stressful time when cooking and a lot of in-laws were running around making problems. In-laws and guns don't mix.

k.

Nice ! want see some swarf and mudd on that table .:popcorn:

I thought round one was a pretty nice setup, but that looks awesome. Now you just a mini fridge for some after sharpening beverages and you are set.

Only thing missing is water for soaking NatJ stones :youwish:

I like it! Actually, the only thing I'd change is there isn't enough room to spread out all the knives and towels and tomatoes and strops. I'd probably take the little rack off the table, myself.

+1 on the mini-fridge. And, you need a cup-holder for your cocktail :) Just kidding.

The woodworkers vise is nice, but if you get a cheap one, the locking mechanisms tends to slip in my experience. Harbor freight crap should be out - IMHO. Shopfox is okay and Rockler ones are good. Not sure who makes the best one. All I own are cheap ones and they all cam-out under pressure except the Rockler one I have.
-M

That is a sweet setup, Drinky. I am stuck in my kitchen sink to my wifes despair. Wish I had a setup like yours... with my own setup of stones that is :D

DarKHOeK

Man, that is one serious setup. Mine looks sorry in comparison, but it gets the job done with flying colors.
121fxxi.jpg

Man, that is one serious setup. Mine looks sorry in comparison, but it gets the job done with flying colors.
121fxxi.jpg

Looks very nice as well., but do you have enough space on the left to the 360mm yanagibas? :)

DarkHOeK

I like it! Actually, the only thing I'd change is there isn't enough room to spread out all the knives and towels and tomatoes and strops. I'd probably take the little rack off the table, myself.

Yeah, the one thing I wish I would have done is extend the surface area by 12-18 inches. Oh well. Maybe I will make a second station with an sink built in and some side counter space. I could even make an in-set area for a 4x4 sharpening board.

k.

+1 on the mini-fridge. And, you need a cup-holder for your cocktail :) Just kidding.

The woodworkers vise is nice, but if you get a cheap one, the locking mechanisms tends to slip in my experience. Harbor freight crap should be out - IMHO. Shopfox is okay and Rockler ones are good. Not sure who makes the best one. All I own are cheap ones and they all cam-out under pressure except the Rockler one I have.
-M

Hmmm. A fridge is a good idea. And a strange thing happened the other day. I was attracted to Japanese beer at the liquor store and bought a six of Asahi. I figure that would be a good beer for sharpening.

Good point on the vice. Did a bit of browsing in a wordworker catalog. I think these magnetic soft vise jaws would also be useful.

k.

Hey, what kinda fancy ass man cave has wicker chairs! :jumpy:

Looks good though man, it's nice to have an undisturbed place to be.

Back