Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I built a strop too

I built a strop too

"God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Good stuff.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Clever. Is that cedar?
    - Sean

Yes, cedar. I bought a 6' board, so I have enough for one more drop in piece. You can't see it in the pics but each base is double sided. One is balsa/balsa and other is smooth leather/textured leather. I think the third one will be felt/balsa, seeing as I have more balsa and a piece of felt. I might make a stone holder drop in as well. The pictures hide my poor craftsmanship as well. There are dowels holding on the end pieces and the fit isnt perfect, and both end pieces cracked while I was working on it. But it seems strong after gluing. I need some nonslip feet for it as well.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Now what you need is a rack that will keep your strops separate unless you don't care about contamination or you want to store them in plasic bags or something.

Sweet--what a great idea! What are the dimensions on this?
    - Erik

...and it actually looks of classic Japanese design, if they had thought of it! LOL Ingenious!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Nice. I think I might have to steal that as well. Thanks.
    -M

Great looking strop, John. Luckily, I am set on my design (a slightly different than yours), otherwise I would be stealing yours as well.

I am trying to clear my past orders once and for all, so all my time goes into doing custom work. Once I get to a good stopping point, I will work on some accessories, including strops and boards.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

That is very well done indeed! That is a design that begs to be stolen Pure genious and very "authentic" Japanese.
    How are the pieces for the base joined together?

DarkHOeK