Quantcast
Chipped my first knife
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chipped my first knife

Chipped my first knife

I was careless with my blue Zakuri petty, dropped it on the wooden floor, and the back edge chipped. Ughhhh. I'm new to sharpening, so I'm leary of trying to fix myself. I emailed Jon @JKI and I'm thinking of having him fix and also round the choil a bit anyhow, since it's pretty raw. This look like an easy fix for a pro? I couldn't find any info on the interwebz on this type of damage.

Thanks!
    Brian

That's nothing. Just keep using it and eventually it will sharpen out. I had a brand new Carter come to me like that. It still has a little chip there. No biggie.

Yup. tk59 is dead on. No biggie.

Yeah i will say no biggie too i will even maybe round the chip a bit on some coarse stone and it will help you not cutting your self on that

Thanks, guys!!! If I were to round the choil a bit, is it as easy as sandpaper in "buffing" motion? Does the kurouchi finish pose a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    Thanks, guys!!! If I were to round the choil a bit, is it as easy as sandpaper in "buffing" motion? Does the kurouchi finish pose a problem?
    I think you're thinking about grinding a lot more surface than you need to accomplish what Maxim describes. It would take 10 sec on a med/coarse stone. Maybe use the edge of the stone so you don't jack up your stone surface. No need to touch the kuro uchi. Just the little sharp point.

Sorry, I just meant should I wish to round the whole choil a bit. It's square, currently. Rustic knife. Figured that might lessen the chip a bit and make the choil more comfortable.

Ohh yeah hehe. You can just use sandpaper if you dont have stones lay it flat and run the chip part (Heel) on it so it get straight and not concave

I am just talking about do like that

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chip.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	18008

Sweet, I'll do what you describe! I have a 500 grit stone I will try this on (on stone's side).

As for rounding the choil, it's best to mount the knife in a well padded vise tip down and sand with wet/dry sandpaper in a shoe shine motion.