Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often do you sharpen your home gyuto

Geezr, how long are those prep sessions? Just curious about how many hours you are using the knife between sharpenings.

Typical prep averages about 2 - 3 hours of intermittent cutting depending on menu and number of people and -
    sometimes used by the guys who want to whack away with a big knife.
    None of the ladies have touched that gyuto.
    All of the regulars have end-grained boards.

Geezr, thanks for the response. I'm surprised your knife needs resharpening after a few hours of cutting. Or maybe it doesn't *need* it--perhaps you prefer to keep it super-sharp, or perhaps enjoy sharpening quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    Geezr, thanks for the response. I'm surprised your knife needs resharpening after a few hours of cutting. Or maybe it doesn't *need* it--perhaps you prefer to keep it super-sharp, or perhaps enjoy sharpening quite a bit.
    Sort of all of the above.
    Like having situations to use the KS and it continues when I get home to fuss with it. I cut slowly and contact the boards lightly and knife stays sharp but I do light stropping before putting it away.
    But when other guys use the knife it seems they are performing or enjoy the sounds of cutting on the boards. Then it gets touched-up with stones.

My knives are either White Steel or Super Blue, but generally I sharpen them once a month. Lately I haven't been cooking often, so it's probably been about two months since I last sharpened.