Quantcast
Gyuto under $200 for Newbie
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gyuto under $200 for Newbie

Gyuto under $200 for Newbie

Background info: I have been researching what knife to get for my first "real" Chef's knife for about 4 months now. At first I was fairly set on a Global G-17, but then doing some more research I learned that I could get better quality for cheaper. I then settled on a Tojiro DP, then read another few recommendations from another forum (not mentioning any names) and settled with a Richmond Artifex.

I literally was about to purchase the Artifex tonight from CKTG when I stumbled upon this forum and saw how their quality fluctuates drastically. Now I'm stuck between: Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, CarboNext KC-7, Kagayaki KV-7, a Gesshin Stainless, or just wait, save, and get a good ol' Victorinox to hold me over and practice sharpening/knife skills on.

With that being said:

USA

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef's

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    My first knife, so no real preference. Probably Western for simplicity.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    At least 10" or 240mm, I'm only 5'5" with med/large sized hands, but don't want to be stuck wishing I had a longer knife.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    Stainless preferred

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $200, but I have NO sharpening materials either.

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    Slicing, chopping, mincing veggies and meats. Probably no boning or filleting with it though.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    6" Pampered Chef Chef's Knife... (recently married, it's my wifes, I swear!)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Pinch, the occasional Point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Rock, Slice, Walk

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
    Comfort, a bit heavier, better handle material, better handle shape
    Easier to sharpen, better edge retention, less wedging

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Wood (not endgrain) and synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    No

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes, but not if I will ruin a $150 knife.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes

TLDR; What are your recommendations for a 240+mm gyuto, for med-lrg hands, first time sharpener with no sharpening equipment, for under $200?

Thanks!

For under $200 total budget I would spend around $100 on the knife and the rest on stones, if you must have stainless get a Fujiwara FKM for $85, but especially if you are new to sharpening I would strongly consider carbon steel FKH series, it will be easier to sharpen to a nice edge than any stainless in that price range. Carbonext seems like a nice compromise between carbon and stainless, but it is a bit pricier, and from what I hear the fit, finish, and out of box sharpness are maybe not as good as the Fujiwara, but with a good sharpening would out perform the Fujiwara. Spend the rest of the money on a medium and a fine grit stone. I have the Bester 1200 and a Rika 5K stone, and they are great. I would also consider the Gesshin 1200 and Gesshin 5K splash and go stone. Also consider getting Dave's sharpening DVD, it helped me a lot.

I do not have enough experience with knives to give you a recommendatiomn, but with the stone you could consider some 1k and 6k combination stone - I have used Bester 1000/6000 and it was nice, but also King 1000 & 6000 stones (there is a combination stone available too), or similar are prefectly fine. I would just avoid getting some no-name stones.

What am I trying to say is (given your budget) that getting 2 decent stones would be good solution. Sure - something Gesshin (or Naniwa Chosera) stones would be a step up, but you will not get 2 stones (or the 1000/6000 combination stone) within $100. Still - you may want to contact Jon from JKI (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/) as he is very helpful and knowledgeable (first hand experience). He may even help find you a "complete" solution

Sharpening DVD is something I can really recommend (I got one from http://www.cartercutlery.com/ - really graet), but it will eat into your budget.

Fujiwara FKM really is a fantastic product. You can't go wrong.

+1 fkm

get the victorinox and a few stones...you can save the rest of the cash and get something nice once you figure out the sharpening. Avoid the artifex for sure. Otherwise, recommendations above for fujiwara are solid.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Fujiwara and a King Combo Stone. Then, run away, and never look back. Wait...how much savings do you have?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Or decide if you can have a separate budget for a combo stone or stones, and get a better knife.

I say go for CarboNext and a combo stone.

Fujiwara + 1000, that's what I started with and I love mine. I went the carbon route for the ease of sharpening as well as the increased sharpness.

Here's a pic of her all gussied up with a beautiful patina made from blood.

Twitter: @PeterDaEater

+ Reply to Thread