Quantcast
masamoto ks--just a project knife nowadays? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: masamoto ks--just a project knife nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I'm not so much bummed as curious. I got a good deal by snagging this off Rakuten so I kind of feel like maybe I should have to put a little work in; I may not have the same attitude had I paid retail or close.

It would suck to be new to J-knives though, buy one and kind of say meh to the whole deal without trying something else or fixing it. Definitely sounds as if this is a more recent phenomenon with these, kind of sucks.
    Spine shots of your KS seems thicker than mine which was purchased June 2009.
    Also - "Your Masamoto KS-3124 Wa Gyuto 240mm is Honba Duke finished by Masamoto
    craftsman already." - requested because I do not know (still) how to thin and sharpen well.
    My KS is on Stefan's Handle Gallery - page 33 post 321.
    The bottom 2 pics sort of show the spine and choil
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Gallery/page33

Quote Originally Posted by geezr View Post
    Spine shots of your KS seems thicker than mine which was purchased June 2009.
    Also - "Your Masamoto KS-3124 Wa Gyuto 240mm is Honba Duke finished by Masamoto
    craftsman already." - requested because I do not know (still) how to thin and sharpen well.
    Geezr, sorry for the confusion/ignorance on my part, but not quite sure what you are saying about Honba Duke finished--did you request special finishing on your blade? Very good looking knife btw.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I sure don't know a lot, but...
    it seems the KS really just has a good profile.
    nobody around here likes d handles, or lusts after white #2 with average HT.
    Among the Japanese chefs i have questioned, Masamoto is not a brand they recommend with any enthusiasm.
    If the KS is a project knife to begin with, because the OOTB geometry kinda sucks, why not just buy an Ashi or Yusuke and modify the profile for a fraction of the price?
    It's not that hard to take some belly out of a knife and correct the overall geometry with a quick thinning session, IMO.

Chinacat, your ks choil shot looks very different than mine. I can't take good picture as yours; however, this is my ks choil shot to compare with....
    your ks

my ks
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Chinacat, your ks choil shot looks very different than mine. I can't take good picture as yours; however, this is my ks choil shot to compare with....
    your ks

my ks
    Charles, yours looks like it would cut much better than mine. Is it new and have you thinned it or is that stock?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Woah- I'd be hard pressed to admit that was the same breed of knife if I wasn't given the info beforehand.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Charles, yours looks like it would cut much better than mine. Is it new and have you thinned it or is that stock?
    mine is old stock ks gyuto, I purchased about 4 months ago. the F/F is not perfect but very good over all! it is new, never thinned....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I think the very cheap price from Rakuten got something to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    are the pictures above both stainless knives? carbon knives?
    both are masamoto ks3124(white#2) carbon knives