Quantcast
masamoto ks--just a project knife nowadays? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: masamoto ks--just a project knife nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    are the pictures above both stainless knives? carbon knives?
    Mine is new KS-3124 (white 2 carbon); I take from what Charles is saying that his is the same only a few years older. Grind looks to be completely different 'eh?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

charles scored a nice ks. ive seen several and none of them looked that nice.

My first was awesome from jck and my second needed thinning and love from rakuten. I didn't really put the two together

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Chinacat, your ks choil shot looks very different than mine. I can't take good picture as yours; however, this is my ks choil shot to compare with....
    your ks

my ks
    Well, there you have it. Damn.

Second one is thin but very flat, mine was both thick at the edge and flat for too long into it. Yours will cut great if you thin it that last half inch into the edge, will have better release than the second one. Still need to sort mine out properly.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Woah- I'd be hard pressed to admit that was the same breed of knife if I wasn't given the info beforehand.
    Youve never had this situation where you check chick's facebook [or other such website] pictures and even though its same girl youre seeing different person in every photo? Ranging from extremely hot to extremely not?

I think photo lies a little bit in this case, but the first one sure is a porker. As will said, the last cm needs cracking up.

Youve never had this situation where you check chick's facebook [or other such website] pictures and even though its same girl youre seeing different person in every photo? Ranging from extremely hot to extremely not?
    Awesome.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Second one is thin but very flat, mine was both thick at the edge and flat for too long into it. Yours will cut great if you thin it that last half inch into the edge, will have better release than the second one. Still need to sort mine out properly.
    Thanks Will, kind of what I was thinking I saw...keep the convexity and yet seriously thin the last bit. I was thinking more like an inch, but will start with what you and Mike say--last 1/2 in or so. Looks like a very good learning opportunity.

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

i don't really see the draw of the 'legendary' ks. it's narrow and average steel, too pointy. plus i think the VG series is the one with magical profile.
    chinacats i'm under the belief that any new knife needs tweaking unless you bought custom and had them grind exactly the way you want. some just need more initial work than others. but yeah, $300 for a project knife is pretty ridiculous.

I love my KS profile. I also am a fan of white steel. The Masamoto isn't the best of the many white steel knives I've had or have. Its retention is lackluster. My KS has been around for a while. I got it from Vertigo, further tuned it, and had Mike slap an awesome handle on it. It's a beast.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread