Quantcast
masamoto ks--just a project knife nowadays? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: masamoto ks--just a project knife nowadays?

Makes me think dropping 50 bucks on a Forgecraft is a steal. Heh!
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Geezr, sorry for the confusion/ignorance on my part, but not quite sure what you are saying about Honba Duke finished--did you request special finishing on your blade? Very good looking knife btw.
    My bad - thought those were spine shots, used to seeing choil with some ferrule in the frame. Yes I requested the service. Also checked what info remains for this purchase and it seems there were no additional charges.
    This from the vendor:
    "Honba-duke Sharpening Service.
    Experienced Master craftsman makes final sharp blade edge with hand sharpening process by whetstone. You can enjoy outstanding cutting performance ready to use out of the box when received."
    Not sure re. availability of this service today.
    On the Bevel Question thread, Post #4 Zwiefel describes what I was told about Japanese kitchen knives. May be different today.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    charles scored a nice ks. ive seen several and none of them looked that nice.
    +1

Trying to do this slowly and smartly...oh well. Anyway, decided to start with my new 600 Gesshin from Jon instead of my 220 that I would usually use. Criticism welcomed as I'm sure there is a much better way, but here goes. I spent a total of maybe 30 minutes using light pressure; depending on how much this helps or hurts I will likely go back for a bit more.

Front to be convexed and thinned:

Rear side to be convexed and thinned (on this side I thinned to top to help the asymmetry):

Not too much removed but I think this should be better...heading to the store now for something to cut:

Still looks a bit chubby, but imo this is an improvement at least visually.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Looks better, but I'd do more!

OK, release was good, now better. Eases through food much better--and that's with a 600 grit edge. Already like a new knife and a much better performing one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Looks better, but I'd do more!
    Agreed, I am going to go back at it for a touch more (maybe another 50%), but really wanted to make sure I hadn't made any bad decisions first. Looks like I need to go at it a bit 'right behind' the edge.

Really was a pleasure using the 600 Gesshin...able to thin pretty quickly. Finished by using it to put an edge on and it was a very nice edge for that grit--quite amazing actually.

I would put the blade flat to the stone, on both sides, for a while, then build some convexity above that flat plane.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    I would put the blade flat to the stone, on both sides, for a while, then build some convexity above that flat plane.
    Thanks, I did that on the back side, but thought I may lose a bit of the convexity potential on the front if I did too much there? I wound up going about 1.5cm on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Thanks, I did that on the back side, but thought I may lose a bit of the convexity potential on the front if I did too much there? I wound up going about 1.5cm on the front.
    You'll gain more in cutting ease than you'll lose in sticktion, as long as you don't do it too much. Thin, cut some food, thin, cut, thin, cut, and you'll know when you hit the right balance.

i bet a low grit splash n go is a great choice for a 30 minute thinning session. you dont have to constantly stop to resoak/refresh the stone with water.