Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: masamoto ks--just a project knife nowadays?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i bet a low grit splash n go is a great choice for a 30 minute thinning session. you dont have to constantly stop to resoak/refresh the stone with water.
    I'm really digging that stone. The first use it's had, but it was very easy to use, cut fast but didn't make huge scratches--kind of confusing. Didn't dish bad at all. Finished thinning and put a very useable edge on the blade--did make a huge burr initially but was easy to remove. I kept it wet, but it was much nicer than using a soaker. I've pretty much decided that I'm working my way to an all Gesshin splash and go lineup. I've got the 600, and 5k already, likely going to fill that gap with the 1200. That will have everything except my most coarse stone (pink brick) as splash and go.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

man, i feel even a 400 takes too long to thin, lol.

i bet a low grit splash n go is a great choice for a 30 minute thinning session. you dont have to constantly stop to resoak/refresh the stone with water.
    using water stones is the wrong strategy. this is where diamond really comes into its own. the main work would likely take 10 minutes on an XC DMT, followed by a 320 Shapton Pro and a 1k Chosera, to clean it up. Then redo the finish it as you want. I use sandpaper, usually.

chinacats,

Here's my Masamoto KS carbon 240mm from Korin (sharpened by Korin):

And your old Shig 240mm (my photo of it):

And for comparison, a Sakai Yusuke flat carbon 240mm (had a hard time taking this photo):

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    using water stones is the wrong strategy. this is where diamond really comes into its own. the main work would likely take 10 minutes on an XC DMT, followed by a 320 Shapton Pro and a 1k Chosera, to clean it up. Then redo the finish it as you want. I use sandpaper, usually.
    i destroyed my dmt xc. i think flattening my 5k and 8k with it ruined the teeth perhaps? until i can figure out how i screwed my dmt up im just sticking with another thinning technique.

i destroyed my dmt xc. i think flattening my 5k and 8k with it ruined the teeth perhaps? until i can figure out how i screwed my dmt up im just sticking with another thinning technique.
    I guess that's possible. I have ruined many by thinning the **** out of steel knives, but never by flattening stones.

All of those knives could be thinner, Don. I mean, shoot, my Heijis are way thinner, and they are like 5-6mm at the spine, mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post

I too usually use sandpaper. This was really just an opportunity to see how the 600 responded. When thinning with sharpening I would often use a 220, but when just thinning I think sandpaper works great.

Quote Originally Posted by don View Post
    chinacats,

Here's my Masamoto KS carbon 240mm from Korin (sharpened by Korin):

And your old Shig 240mm (my photo of it):

And for comparison, a Sakai Yusuke flat carbon 240mm (had a hard time taking this photo):
    Thanks Don, that's helpful. I'll add a pic of the Heiji as well for comparison:

Obviously very thin behind the edge, but more of a monster through the blade.

Overall, what I'm looking for here is to improve performance while keeping/improving food release. I really do not want a super thin knife. I probably use more force in general than finesse when cutting so stiction is my main enemy. That said, I will still wind up thinning this knife a bit more, but not very much.

Cheers to everyone for their input, Jacob I hope your thumb gets better.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Nice choil shots, fellows! It's a shame a lot of folks don't keep their choil shots looking like this.

Thought I'd do a quick update on the thinning. I decided to take it to a more coarse stone tonight so I hit it on a 220 (pink brick from ee). I think it's getting a bit better, but it is getting late tonight and I'm heading to the mountains tomorrow so it won't get an edge until I get back. If everything is good I will then proceed to the stuff I don't like so much--making it look nice again. Again, I'm sure I could take it down thinner, but I'm just hoping it retained the way it released food after the 600.

So...original shot:

after 600:

after 220:

oddity at very edge is just because it doesn't have one...