0170-6/1095cv/50100b kitchen knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraftzion

Reaction score
Did anybody ever make kitchen knives out of 1095cv? I haven't had any luck finding any. Also what would be some of the better 1095 knives? There seems to be a lot of knowledge floating around this site and I was hoping somebody could help me. I also read a very informative and interesting history on forgecraft knives by sachem allison and was wondering if he knew the approximate diameter of the wheels they used to get the hollow grind?

Some of the old American pocket knife manufactures used a lot of 1095cv/50100. Companies like Case probably used it in making their kitchen knife lines. I have some of the material and have used it for making knives. It is a grade of steel that was developed specifically for knives.

Hoss

The original knive were done on stone wheels but, Devin pointed out that he thought maybe they were ground on old Nichols grinders. This very well could have happened after Washington forge bought the brand and began production in more modern facilities. I notice that the older ones from the 20's to the early 50"s had a more pronounced hollow ground edge and the older ones gradually became flatter as time went by. I have no idea how large the wheels were.

Back