Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help/advice on transporting 2x72" grinder from UK to DE

Need help/advice on transporting 2x72" grinder from UK to DE

Ok, so the time has come - I am ordering my first 'proper' grinder. It will be made in UK by a guy named Kamil (for who building these grinders is a hobby). It will be 1.5 kW universal grinder with a platen, other accessories will come a little later.

The yet unsolved issue is how to get it from Ipswich to Aalen as these two cities are 1100 km apart. I would most prefer to pick it up in person, bu that would mean 3-4 day long roadtrip what is something that would be the most expensive option.

I would like to ask for an advice on alternatives. Shipping companies or even some kind KKF member that travels between UK and DE (we would agree on the compensation) and has the possibility to transport a machine of thesr size and weight (around 70 kg).

The grinder should be finished sometimes in September.

Thank you in advance

Well you've gone and fell in that hole for sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Well you've gone and fell in that hole for sure now.
    How would you know

I bought my grinder from a guy in Greece, and he separated it into two boxes for me. One contained the parts, the other had the motor and inverter. This made it a lot more manageable for the delivery guys. Your guy might find that a useful thing to do. I ship a lot of stuff overseas (bulky but quite light weight) and I use www.transglobalexpress.co.uk. Not saying it's going to be cheap, but they have the cheapest shipping quotes I've found for my stuff. Parcel2go.com also have some good quotes for within europe.

i shipped my czar 2x72 via DHL, not cheap but since the grinder is more important I still went that route

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM
    Youtube Channel,Instagram
    gtalk: knivesandstones at gmail dot com

Thanks for your advice. I will check with the maker whether shipping in 2 or 3 boxes would be an option.

I got my pepper grinder from william and sonoma

Ask him to box it and put it on a quarter pallet? Shouldn't be more than about £50 UK to DE.
    All the companies I've used seem to charge similar amounts, but make sure you use a UK company. The quotes I've gotten from Europe based firms seem to be much higher for some reason.

Thanks Dan. Kamil is looking into that. I am now waiting for updates from his side. £50 UK to DE would be awesome

I shipped a +- 2 ton power hammer from eastern France for £150 a couple of years ago. I really don't know how they do it so cheaply.