Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choil shots

Choil shots

Hey y'all. I'm trying to re-profile some NOS forgecrafts, and it would be great to get some choil shots of your ideal cutters to use as reference, as well as experiment with trying to replicate said profiles, and see how they perform with said knives. Obviously the forges are restricted by their current geometry, and it would be difficult/ impossible to pull off certain profiles to some degree, (especially without decent power tools)- but I thought this would be a fun exercise even beyond the reference idea.

So gimme your choils dammit! And please do give some experiences regarding said profiles, with all the tried and true criteria.

Cheers,

- Josh
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

And yes- I know that a grind is more than just what the choil tells you. But it is a good starting point IMO.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Not sure if this helps or not, but my favorite cutter so far was this Shig:

I had just posted this in another thread, but I think this had the best mix yet of sliding through food and releasing it just as well:

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

That other thread is what got me thinking. Thanks China.

I not sure if this is going to help or not, here are my top 3 gyutos has the best balance of glides through food & release food

DT ABE-L 240 custom

Yoshikane SLD Kurouchi Damascus

Gengetsu semi-stainless 240
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

The choil shot of that gengetsu looks awesome.

Great shots. How do you fix the focus so the choil is sharp (pun intended)?

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    Great shots. How do you fix the focus so the choil is sharp (pun intended)?
    manual focus, macro, anti-shake, auto best shot, flash off with light source from back of choil + craftsmanship by DT, Mr.Yoshida(Yoshikane) & Gengetsu(unknow maker)!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

The Yoshikane choil looks like a very very nice grind. They all do, but I like that one a lot!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It looks more like a grind for a Lefty. Is that why you like it?
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery