Choil shots

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainsausage

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I'm trying to re-profile some NOS forgecrafts, and it would be great to get some choil shots of your ideal cutters to use as reference, as well as experiment with trying to replicate said profiles, and see how they perform with said knives. Obviously the forges are restricted by their current geometry, and it would be difficult/ impossible to pull off certain profiles to some degree, (especially without decent power tools)- but I thought this would be a fun exercise even beyond the reference idea.

So gimme your choils dammit! And please do give some experiences regarding said profiles, with all the tried and true criteria.

Cheers,

- Josh

And yes- I know that a grind is more than just what the choil tells you. But it is a good starting point IMO.

Not sure if this helps or not, but my favorite cutter so far was this Shig:

I had just posted this in another thread, but I think this had the best mix yet of sliding through food and releasing it just as well:

shigchoil_zpsa44b6127.jpg

I not sure if this is going to help or not, here are my top 3 gyutos has the best balance of glides through food & release food

DT ABE-L 240 custom

Yoshikane SLD Kurouchi Damascus

Gengetsu semi-stainless 240

The choil shot of that gengetsu looks awesome.

Great shots. How do you fix the focus so the choil is sharp (pun intended)?

Great shots. How do you fix the focus so the choil is sharp (pun intended)?

manual focus, macro, anti-shake, auto best shot, flash off with light source from back of choil + craftsmanship by DT, Mr.Yoshida(Yoshikane) & Gengetsu(unknow maker)!!

The Yoshikane choil looks like a very very nice grind. They all do, but I like that one a lot!

It looks more like a grind for a Lefty. Is that why you like it?

I have the hardest time taking pictures of choils as well lol. The focus is always all wonky.

Thanks for all the choil shots so far. Love to see some more. I'll post some pics of the Forges tomorrow. Lotta work ahead me, after seeing some of these triumphs...

I in the past have placed something large at the point were I want the focus to go. It settles there. You can move it out of the way or leave it in the shot. very tough to do, but with practice it works well.

That's a really nice looking grind!

a couple of resent blades. One is a Gyuto the other a petty.

And possibly my favorite choil photo I have been able to capture is the choil of a Nakiri I made about 4 years ago.

_MG_9665 (800x534).jpg

_MG_9666 (800x534).jpg

Not sure if this helps or not, but my favorite cutter so far was this Shig:

I had just posted this in another thread, but I think this had the best mix yet of sliding through food and releasing it just as well:

I know it's been years since you posted this, but do you remember if this is stock or thinned? And which knife type is it?

LJgGv6L.jpg

lPTyvR9.jpg

Gesshin Hide 240mm White #2 Gyuto

I haven't seen many pictures of these knives. One of my favorites and with all the talk of Ikeda-san here -- if I had to guess, it's one that he had a hand in for JKI.

Night of the living thread! No? Too much? :eek2:

Those are good shots indeed Randy!

Latest posts

Back