Quantcast
Bashing Bones - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bashing Bones

Because you have to if you are going to make the cuts I described.

I can't remember ever having to "bash" a bone on anything I cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by bahamaroot View Post
    I can't remember ever having to "bash" a bone on anything I cooked.
    Think it was just a poor use of word.Taking a bird apart you are going through the joints.Even when cutting through bone wt. a cleaver eg. Ducks & Ginger Chicken slight forward push stroke clean cuts thru bone Bashing can splinter bone.

Mostly use Fujiwara Honesuki, but when having to cut neck/rib/back bones an unaltered Hiromoto AS does the job without any chipping

When you debone a chicken I would highly suggest using a boning knife. The only bones you should ever have to cut through is where it connects to the back and that is only if you are doing bone in breast. If boneless breast you shouldn't be cutting through any bones. Any thing over 150mm is way to big and really a paring knife would work fine.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

You really should never be "smashing bones" with any animal. Especially with a gyuto.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

"chopping Chinese cleaver" will cut/bash mostly any bones, "all-purpose Chinese cleaver" can taking care most of poultry/fish bone.....just make sure do not use "slice Chinese cleaver" to cut any bone!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I will use anything to take apart a chicken, like people have mentioned, just going through joints. I don't think I have ever chipped a knife this way.

Nowadays though, I use my Yoshikane White #2 160mm Bone Chopper I got from Maxim. It is overkill but really fun and fast.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I noticed in that video he tossed the back away as something for making stock later. Great if you need chicken stock but when I'm frying chicken the back sections are two of my favorite pieces. Thus I need to cut through the one once there. I remember in China being told the back and wings were the most favored pieces followed by the legs and thighs. Breast meat was the cheapest cut for poor folk that couldn't afford the good pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    I noticed in that video he tossed the back away as something for making stock later. Great if you need chicken stock but when I'm frying chicken the back sections are two of my favorite pieces. Thus I need to cut through the one once there. I remember in China being told the back and wings were the most favored pieces followed by the legs and thighs. Breast meat was the cheapest cut for poor folk that couldn't afford the good pieces.
    Breast meat is flavorless. Gimme that fat!
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread