Quantcast
Bashing Bones - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bashing Bones

I think you would find that is the rule in most parts of Asia.

It is funny in our culture how the breast meat is cost more.Esp. for stews thigh meat better even wt. bone.I like the dark meat on Chicken & Turkey

I like to use my r2 mr itou honesuki for all my meat and poultry fabrication. Very sturdy knife, doesn't chip. Steel stays sharp for a long time. I used many other knives for these jobs.For me, nothing is better suited.During the week i'll break down anything from whole quail,squab,chic,Sides of veal, whole pigs and Lamb. Three tools Honesuki, Large cleaver, Meat Saw. Thats it.

I use this to bash threw bone...and nothing else in its way.

That's a frickin lord of the rings prop, fess up!
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I'm surprised that nobody on the forum is chopping up chicken bones. Years ago, I read Pam Andersons' recipe on making a chicken stock. She felt the trick was chopping up chicken bones to expose the marrow. I thick it was recipe that made me want a cleaver. Also I've seen a number of recipes, where poultry was chopped or hacked into bite size pieces, after it was cooked.

I don't know if I'd ever use a gyuto to chop up a chicken.

Since others have brought up the topic, a chicken can be broken down in the western style with any knife from a paring to a cleaver.

The Asian style, where a series of precise cuts are made and the meat is pulled off the bones, is where the honesuki, garasuki, and cleaver do make a difference.

From what I understand of the garasuki, they can be nothing more then a large honesuki. The garasuki's that have the steep bevel on one side, such as a Masamoto, are probably more in line with a deba, but with a narrow triangle profile. The members who enjoy breaking down a chicken with a deba, the garasuki would be the next step.

The little that I've got to play with a garasuki that main difference between it and the honesuki, seems to be production. The Masamoto is a big heavy knife, that is still nimble. If a significant portion of my job was breaking down chicken and deboning them, I would want a garasuki.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Jay when I make Curry Stew etc.I chop up chix thighs to expose the marrow as you said,use a CCK bone cleaver.

This is the reason I ask @ 1:37 AND 2:37. It is the mad man Gordon Ramsey breaking down a chock.
    When you make $45 mil plus a year, who cares what you do with your knife.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8
    Last edited by smilesenpai; 08-12-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: extra info

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Jay when I make Curry Stew etc.I chop up chix thighs to expose the marrow as you said,use a CCK bone cleaver.
    Chicken Curry Stew sounds Ono.

If I was smart I would have picked up a CCK bone cleaver, instead I got a Sugimoto 22, which is an awesome knife. I don't use it enough though.

Jay
    I'm a over-sized, under-educated, two onions a month, cutting fool.

Not a gyuto, rather a massive CCK cleaver in an Asian kitchen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPibiurjOdE

+ Reply to Thread