Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What type/shape of knife meets the following uncommon requirements:

What type/shape of knife meets the following uncommon requirements:

Need to fill in a gap in my line of knives, but don't really know what is the name of what I am looking for, embarrassing...

I have three 210 Gyuto's (Shig, Heiji, Shun) and two sizes of petty's, so when I am cooking a meal, I'm pretty sorted out, but...

most of the day I find myself using a knife for very short/small yet versatile tasks such as:
    1. Cutting half a cucumber
    2. slicing an Apple for the kids
    3. Slicing half a Tomato...for the kids
    4. Cutting one onion...for pasta for the kids...

So it usually goes like this: 'DADDY....I want a....' , after 5 m, 'Daddy...I want ...as well...'

the variety of things I cut is all over the range, soft to hard, small to big...
    The Gyuto's are just too big for such use, the petty are too small for some of the harder ingredients....

I want a short knife that I can swing while having the kids lean into the cutting board, maybe ~165, but with a hefty blade, so I can tackle cutting up a carrot for example.

I prefer a Japanese type construction for no good reason besides my fetish for Japanese stuff and aesthetics.

A hefty Santoku comes to mind, but...well, I just think they have the ugliest profile in the world.

I actually held and used the perfect knife for the task, it was a TCBlade by Tzlil, he called it a Mukimono (if I recall correctly) but it was double bevel and had a bit of a belly...so I'm not really sure it is an official Mukimono (loved the K-tip though), but man....that was a great knife !!! unfortunately it wasn't San-Mai (I know its not a pragmatic reason...but this whole knife thing is about passion for me)

Anyways, how do you call a K-tip, double bevel, with a slight belly, ~165mm, San-Mai knife or
    A knife suitable for the tasks I described

thanks for the help

p.s
    If you have one to offer....

p.s
    Custom is one possible path...but usually...above my pay-grade...would prefer to keep it up to $250

Your requirement's a total Bunka, mate.

Damn, spot on !

How did I miss this...

been looking for something to pop up for the last 6 month !

any makers recommendation?

The Munetoshi 165 petty from JNS likely could do what you want.
    If you want a taller blade you might look for a bunka.

Lars

Masamoto KS 165 petty, tadafusa 165 mm petty
    Bunka also takeda or shibata
    Small gyuto I will suggest murata or Misono around 180 mm

Searched for 'Bunka' at both Jon's and Maxim (really want to buy from one of them, they are just so helpful and great guys), but Nill, no Bunka's found in search...

I would take a look at Funayuki's too. They're not K-tipped but I think would suit the tasks you need to do. Different profile from a gyuto and usually shorter

Funayuki hits the sweet spot as well, thanks!

Zoning on
    1. Bunka
    2. Funyaki

Still no hits on Jon and Maxim (checked for a Funyaki as well)

Checking the rest of the recommended brands listed abouve

Beware, a Funayuki can be a single bevel depending on the maker.

http://knifejapan.com/knife-types/bannou/ (that shop goes more by the actual japanese naming rather than following western interpretations, so some of what we call a Bunka is with the Nakiris and Bannous, while their Bunkas are more Santoku-like.

There are Tosa/Zakuri bunkas (inexpensive, caveat emptor). Takeda makes some too (expensive).

There are wide differences in profile - those with the most belly (the cheap, light Kiwi 171/173 as an example) tend to be called K-tip Gyutos; Bannous can be very flat.

Have a look on epicedge, they stock Murata funayukis (made from Blue#1 !!).
    I'll be ordering one of those as soon as the UK seller restocks them