Quantcast
Visiting Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Japan

Visiting Japan

I'm heading to Japan for a couple of weeks in Feb next year. The main focus for the trip will be bonsai but as I also have an interest in Japanese kitchen knives I was hoping to fit in some related sight seeing if I have time.

The areas where I'll be staying are Tokyo, Takamatsu, Kyoto and Nagoya. I gather Sakai is the main center for knife production? Can anyone suggest any makers or outlets or other areas of interest to try and visit whilst I'm there?

I know nothing, but my understanding is that dropping in is frowned upon (I believe they feel it is rude) at most shops. Either way I'm sure you will get some great advice/tips, hope you have a great trip!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I know nothing, but my understanding is that dropping in is frowned upon (I believe they feel it is rude) at most shops. Either way I'm sure you will get some great advice/tips, hope you have a great trip!
    actual stores are ok (like masamoto tsukiji, aritsugu, etc.)... its the craftsmen's workshops that are often not set up for visits

If there for Bonsai you will have a good trip. Kyuto has beautiful gardens and temples.

Thanks guys - I think Kyoto would be my best opportunity for knife shopping. Some of my favourite makers are in areas I wont be visiting unfortunately. Does anyone have anything from Shigeharu?

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    If there for Bonsai you will have a good trip. Kyuto has beautiful gardens and temples.
    Yes I'm looking forward to it! Will be there for the Kokufu-ten exhibition in Tokyo, as well visiting lots of bonsai nurseries and the Tokoname pottery area.

I'm also hoping to visit a couple of local craft brewery bars - another hobby of mine!

Visiting Japan

I live in osaka and can recommend shops to you. I've been to most if them in the kansai area. Are you looking for mainly knives or some scissors as well?

Craft breweries are fairly new here and can get expensive. You might check out minoh beer. Again I can recommend places in the osaka area.

Hi osakajoe. I dont really 'need' another knife(do we ever?), but figure I should get something whilst I'm there as a momento, possibly a 240mm gyuto or a sujihiki. Would be nice to get something from a maker that is maybe less well known in the west but good value for money? I'm also after a kiridashi or grafting knife to use with my bonsai trees.

I will be with a small group and have lots planned, I know we are staying in Kyoto for a few days but am not sure how much free time we will have to get to Osaka for shopping. The map posted above is very helpful though.

I looked at minoh beer online, the Beerbelly bar looks like the place to go!

I'm actually on vacation now in Washington and Oregon so only have my phone to reply. When I get back to Japan can write you a better pm. Is be more than willing to show you around and translate depending on the day

Quote Originally Posted by osakajoe View Post
    I'm actually on vacation now in Washington and Oregon so only have my phone to reply. When I get back to Japan can write you a better pm. Is be more than willing to show you around and translate depending on the day
    Thankyou for the offer that is much appreciated! The trip will be in early febuary next year so plenty of time before then. I will know more about the details as it gets closer.