Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Timer question about "Asian Chef Knife" profile and Feel

First Timer question about "Asian Chef Knife" profile and Feel

Hi KKF:

Here's some background, I have been looking for my first decent level chef's knife for a bit now and so far my research has led to be the big brands like Shun, Global, Miyabi etc. I did a lot of online browsing and I have narrowed it down to

This Shun 7 inch Asian Chef's Knife for 99 dollars
    http://www.houseofknives.ca/Cutlery-...c-Asian-Chef-7

and a global 8" for the same price.

However, I don't exactly what a "asian 7" chef's knife" mean in terms of profile and feel, I have never heard of this before and is it very different from a actual chef's knife?

Anyway, my research has led me to this forum and where I read a lot of threads about Japanese Knives from JCK.com and now I'm not sure if I want a Shun or Global anymore.

I am from Canada, and has a price range at about 130 dollars, and I've narrowed it in terms of Japanese knives at that price range to

Hiromoto Super series
    FKM or FMH series, (I'm not quite sure if I want stainless or carbon steel yet)
    JCK carbonext

There was also this Miyabi 8 inch fusion knife for 99 dollars, but the shipping and duties would make it around 150 dollars for me, which is too expensive.

Anyway, real first timer here, and I've been overwhelmed by information from reading this forum, this is just some rambling and question I have.

I was in same situation as you a couple months ago. i got the Hiromoto AS 210mm gyuto and have been really happy. 7" is too small i think to be an everyday knife in my opinion. They stopped making them so get one while you can. JCK has it for $135 right now, plus i think a little bit for shipping.

a cheaper option would be a Tanaka stainless steel gyuto. apparently they do a very good job with the VG-10 steel.

Seems like i have also seen a lot of positive reviews on the Richmond Artifex SS knives as well. The 210 gyuto runs about $80 or so and you can get either western or wa handle. never had a Richmond but have heard great things and the prices are great

Quote Originally Posted by DaninMD View Post
    I was in same situation as you a couple months ago. i got the Hiromoto AS 210mm gyuto and have been really happy. 7" is too small i think to be an everyday knife in my opinion. They stopped making them so get one while you can. JCK has it for $135 right now, plus i think a little bit for shipping.

a cheaper option would be a Tanaka stainless steel gyuto. apparently they do a very good job with the VG-10 steel.

Seems like i have also seen a lot of positive reviews on the Richmond Artifex SS knives as well. The 210 gyuto runs about $80 or so and you can get either western or wa handle. never had a Richmond but have heard great things and the prices are great
    Thanks for the reply

I think I'm going to order the JCK simply because of the flat shipping.

I think I will I might go with the Hiromoto AS 210, or the JCK Carbonext.

Another question, for the JCK knives, is it worth it getting the Extra sharpness option because I don't yet have a stone.

The Shuns I've owned have been reasonably thin behind the edge, much more so than the Hiro AS I owned. They have comfortable handles and bolster, again more so than a Hiro. And with Shun appearing to finally use a gyuto profile in the Classic line, I don't think you can beat it for only $100. Certainly not if you want stainless steel.
    ~Brandon

One other thing, since it is basically Western handle I *think* only the blade is measured, which means it may be very comparable to wa-handled 8" (210mm) knife.
    ~Brandon

Hiro AS and Carbonext are great choices, however I am slightly tilted towards Carbonext.

But Hiro AS is no longer being made, so if you can grab now it could a little piece of history.
    Make sue you ask Koki as JCK to declare the value of the package below $50 CAD to avoid customs fees.

I have the Hiro AS 210. The price on JCK recently dropped so I would grab one. OTB, the blade was really sharp and I could shave the hair on my arm. I have not yet put it on a stone but I've only had it a few weeks. I only use it at home to slice/chop veggies. It slices onions and every thing else I've tried very easily, much better than any other knife I have owned.

Koki at JCK recommended the Carbonext but I opted for the Hiro since they will no longer be made.

Hi just another question repeated

Is the extra sharpness on the JCK Carbonext worth getting? Does the knife not come really sharp if you don't choose the option.

I like the profile of that Shun asian chef's knife. Nice knife for $100 if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanP View Post
    Hi just another question repeated

Is the extra sharpness on the JCK Carbonext worth getting? Does the knife not come really sharp if you don't choose the option.
    The CarboNext I got did not have the ES option yet had an excellent OOTB edge on it. Others have had opposite experiences. You are going to need a waterstone to maintain your new knife, regardless of the edge it comes with, so why not get a 1k/4k combo stone with the knife instead of the ES option?
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”