Hello from Brooklyn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrancho

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a home cook who has put together several knives in the past from purchased, preformed blades (that is, I formed the handles). I've done a couple Damascus steak knife sets, a western handled petty and a parer.

I found KKF once I started to develop an interest in Japanese knives and a desire to rehandle a couple of my new Japanese knives. My severe limitation is the lack of a wood shop like I had prior to moving to Brooklyn last year. Before then I had a 600 sqft shop in the basement of my home in upstate NY. Now I'm in an apartment - limited to hand tools, a work space of about 40 sqft and the requirement that I don't raise much sawdust or make much noise (very hard for a former woodworker). That won't stop me, though, I've just got to work out the logistics and correct materials to work within those constraints.

Look forward to me posting a lot of questions!

-Bob

Welcome Brooklyn, always glad to see another NYer. If you're interested, I know of a place in Brooklyn where you can rent shop time by the hour and they have very good equipment. Shoot me a PM if you want details.

Welcome Brooklyn, always glad to see another NYer. If you're interested, I know of a place in Brooklyn where you can rent shop time by the hour and they have very good equipment. Shoot me a PM if you want details.
Thanks - I think you're talking about Makeville studios - half hour walk from my apartment. I visited last week and will be signing up for my certification class soon so I can start scheduling shop time.

The really nice thing is that, being retired and available most any day, they told me I'd pretty much have the shop to myself most of the time during open hours- sweet!

Of course, once I get myself a bit more settled there I'll be in the market for some stabilized wood :doublethumbsup:

Bob

Thanks - I think you're talking about Makeville studios - half hour walk from my apartment. I visited last week and will be signing up for my certification class soon so I can start scheduling shop time.

The really nice thing is that, being retired and available most any day, they told me I'd pretty much have the shop to myself most of the time during open hours- sweet!

Of course, once I get myself a bit more settled there I'll be in the market for some stabilized wood :doublethumbsup:

Bob

Except when I'm there that is. Actually, there's usually a couple of people there, but not in the least crowded. And Robyn who owns the place is great and very helpful if you need it. Have fun.

Except when I'm there that is. Actually, there's usually a couple of people there, but not in the least crowded. And Robyn who owns the place is great and very helpful if you need it. Have fun.
Ha! Look forward to running into you there!

Back