Quantcast
Looking for a flat wa-gyuto
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Looking for a flat wa-gyuto

  1. #1

    Looking for a flat wa-gyuto

    I have a 240mm CarboNext gyuto, and while I love the steel and geometry, the edge profile is too curved for my taste...the contact patch is less than 1", I'd say.

    Is there a flatter non-stainless wa-gyuto on the market for less than $300? I was going to get a Moritaka, but after reading about Dave's experience I'd rather not gamble.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member shankster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Toronto/Canada
    Posts
    506
    Well it looks like Moritakas good name has been sullied beyond repair.Life is a gamble.No matter what you buy,if it's been manufactured by hand or machine,there's a risk of defects, even on the most expensive of products.
    Nothing is immune to such glitches,electronics,autos,appliances,knives etc.While I have no doubt that Mr.Martell has had run ins with defective knives from Moritaka,I also highly doubt that every Moritaka ever produced is flawed.
    If you're lucky enough to have a shop that carries Moritakas,go in and handle them for yourself and ask a lot of questions and voice your concern to the purveyor.Don't let the voices of a few(not including Dave) dissuade you from purchasing a great piece of steel.

    Peter

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cadillac J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    621
    Love my Takeda kiritsuke-gyuto...doesn't get much flatter than this.




  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,217
    Yoshikane and Aritsugu A-Type are the flattest standard gyutos I've tried under $300. The laser types have nearly flat areas toward the heel but I don't get perfect contact without some extra movement (slight push or draw or rock, for that matter). If you really want a flat all around performer, I'd consider a suji.

  5. #5
    If you can stretch to just over $300, Masamoto's KS is flat for roughly 3/4 of it's length. It has a nice flat spot at the tip, too.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,217
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    If you can stretch to just over $300, Masamoto's KS is flat for roughly 3/4 of it's length. It has a nice flat spot at the tip, too.
    And the 240 mm slicer is well under $300.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    498
    Azuma Minamoto No Masahisa 240mm Wa-gyuto in Special semi-stainless steel:

    http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.ya...yasugi240.html

    I have the White#2 version, it's a very light and nimble knife with a very 'rustic' finish.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    Well it looks like Moritakas good name has been sullied beyond repair.Life is a gamble.No matter what you buy,if it's been manufactured by hand or machine,there's a risk of defects, even on the most expensive of products.
    Nothing is immune to such glitches,electronics,autos,appliances,knives etc.While I have no doubt that Mr.Martell has had run ins with defective knives from Moritaka,I also highly doubt that every Moritaka ever produced is flawed.
    If you're lucky enough to have a shop that carries Moritakas,go in and handle them for yourself and ask a lot of questions and voice your concern to the purveyor.Don't let the voices of a few(not including Dave) dissuade you from purchasing a great piece of steel.

    Peter

    Peter,

    I may still get a Moritaka, but I haven't found a local shop that carries them. Lacking the ability to inspect the knives in person, I must trust the vendor to screen defects for me. It's too bad, aside from the bevel grinding issue all I hear about Moritka is A+.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Love my Takeda kiritsuke-gyuto...doesn't get much flatter than this.

    Now that's a good looking knife!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Seb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    498
    Both CKTG and Moritaka Hamono (if you order direct) have a no-questions-asked return policy, AFAIK, as long as the knife is unused. So you will only be out on the shipping.

    You could also write Akiko asking for extra care to be taken with the grind (I did when I ordered my custom 260mm Wa-gyuto and it is A-OK).

    BTW, Moritaka will make whatever shape you want, whether its a regular gyuto or a kiritsuke-gyuto. I bey you could even send them a paper tracing or drawing on PDF and they will do it. A while back, I even asked them to quote for a Funayuki-shaped Wa-gyuto (ie santoku shape but with swept, elongated tip).

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    SpikeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,733
    I wonder if one could get a knife unground from them, and do it yourself?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •