Looking for a flat wa-gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tychoseven

Reaction score
I have a 240mm CarboNext gyuto, and while I love the steel and geometry, the edge profile is too curved for my taste...the contact patch is less than 1", I'd say.

Is there a flatter non-stainless wa-gyuto on the market for less than $300? I was going to get a Moritaka, but after reading about Dave's experience I'd rather not gamble.

Thanks!

Well it looks like Moritakas good name has been sullied beyond repair.Life is a gamble.No matter what you buy,if it's been manufactured by hand or machine,there's a risk of defects, even on the most expensive of products.
Nothing is immune to such glitches,electronics,autos,appliances,knives etc.While I have no doubt that Mr.Martell has had run ins with defective knives from Moritaka,I also highly doubt that every Moritaka ever produced is flawed.
If you're lucky enough to have a shop that carries Moritakas,go in and handle them for yourself and ask a lot of questions and voice your concern to the purveyor.Don't let the voices of a few(not including Dave) dissuade you from purchasing a great piece of steel.

Peter

Love my Takeda kiritsuke-gyuto...doesn't get much flatter than this.

21c56w0.jpg

166lvye.jpg

2z6uwli.jpg

Yoshikane and Aritsugu A-Type are the flattest standard gyutos I've tried under $300. The laser types have nearly flat areas toward the heel but I don't get perfect contact without some extra movement (slight push or draw or rock, for that matter). If you really want a flat all around performer, I'd consider a suji.

If you can stretch to just over $300, Masamoto's KS is flat for roughly 3/4 of it's length. It has a nice flat spot at the tip, too.

If you can stretch to just over $300, Masamoto's KS is flat for roughly 3/4 of it's length. It has a nice flat spot at the tip, too.
And the 240 mm slicer is well under $300.

Well it looks like Moritakas good name has been sullied beyond repair.Life is a gamble.No matter what you buy,if it's been manufactured by hand or machine,there's a risk of defects, even on the most expensive of products.
Nothing is immune to such glitches,electronics,autos,appliances,knives etc.While I have no doubt that Mr.Martell has had run ins with defective knives from Moritaka,I also highly doubt that every Moritaka ever produced is flawed.
If you're lucky enough to have a shop that carries Moritakas,go in and handle them for yourself and ask a lot of questions and voice your concern to the purveyor.Don't let the voices of a few(not including Dave) dissuade you from purchasing a great piece of steel.

Peter

Peter,

I may still get a Moritaka, but I haven't found a local shop that carries them. Lacking the ability to inspect the knives in person, I must trust the vendor to screen defects for me. It's too bad, aside from the bevel grinding issue all I hear about Moritka is A+.

Love my Takeda kiritsuke-gyuto...doesn't get much flatter than this.

21c56w0.jpg

Now that's a good looking knife!

Both CKTG and Moritaka Hamono (if you order direct) have a no-questions-asked return policy, AFAIK, as long as the knife is unused. So you will only be out on the shipping.

You could also write Akiko asking for extra care to be taken with the grind (I did when I ordered my custom 260mm Wa-gyuto and it is A-OK).

BTW, Moritaka will make whatever shape you want, whether its a regular gyuto or a kiritsuke-gyuto. I bey you could even send them a paper tracing or drawing on PDF and they will do it. A while back, I even asked them to quote for a Funayuki-shaped Wa-gyuto (ie santoku shape but with swept, elongated tip).

I wonder if one could get a knife unground from them, and do it yourself?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say FAT CHANCE. What you can maybe do is order a custom piece that is significantly thicker than what you want and then grind that down.

If you like flat you could try a Chinese chefs knife... a chuckabocho or thin slicing cleaver will be pretty darn flat. Lots of makers to choose from.

Despite my reservations, I pulled the trigger on a Moritaka 240mm gyuto. I described the problem as best I understand it and asked the vendor to inspect the bevels with particular attention to this issue. I'll look the knife over myself when it arrives as well. I'm an amateur bladesmith and perhaps I can pick up on flaws others would miss...I have a trick or two I use to check my own bevels.

I have no doubt I'll end up with a chukabocho eventually. I've never used one but the technique just looks like tons of fun!

Back