Quantcast
Food Release Videos - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Release Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    IMHO Gesshin Heiji wins so far
    Thanks for all the vids OP.
    I dunno...I heard a bit of a crunch from the Heiji. The DT, Itinomonn, and Yoshikane all were a bit quieter, yet released well....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Thanks for the comment and criticism. What would you recommend for a real-world test? Thin slices? Dicing?
    PT, for the intended purpose of the test, I think it's spot on. I think I remember Salty using peeled and soaked potatoes, as they are about as sticky as you can get. And, agian, I'm glad the action was clearly audible. Well done in my book....

Hopefully we can build a library of vids...that would be cool!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I think thin mushroom and potato slices, and dicing an onion would be great, but all in all, these really display the release properties of each knife.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
    IMHO Gesshin Heiji wins so far
    Thanks for all the vids OP.
    I agree. If it made extra noise on the board I don't care as long as the food doesn't stick. I mean, isn't that the idea here in this demo? Sticktion.

I hate stiction! Thanks for taking the time to do this Rick! I think the test idea is excellent as the same technique is used consistently. Please continue with the arsenal whenever you get the time.

Don, love the Catcheside! Glad that you too maintained the original format.

Cheers!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

I think these videos do their intended job nicely as long as everyone realizes there is some variation between knives, technique, and produce. There's definitely a number of factors that affect sticktion some are more difficult to get a handle on that others. Aside from knife geometry and finish, I know that the amount of moisture on the knife can make a difference as well as the speed of cutting. Also, different parts of the knife will often behave differently. The technique part is real but I, personally, have trouble with that. I don't always get as good food release as some other folks doing what is seemingly the exact same thing and I've tried it in person, side by side, cutting the same stuff. It's been frustrating at times, to say the least. I must also add that the best anti-sticktion knife is easily Glestain. It's fantastic. With regard to the testing, push-cuts are gonna stick more than slicing motions, in general so that makes two types of tests. Maybe cutting progressively thinner slices might be illustrative, as well as cutting objects of different heights. Anyway, thanks for the vids, Rick.

Some variables that affect stiction are the variety of potato (starchy or waxy) as well as the width of the slice (a thick slice is heavier and will drop off easier than a thin one). There may well be effects from technique that play a part in food release.

Rick
    And the potatoes you used were well scrubbed Russets, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    And the potatoes you used were well scrubbed Russets, or what?
    Good eye. Russets, a nice starchy potato.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Good eye. Russets, a nice starchy potato.
    Well, I eat more potatoes than any 3 people you know....and I live in Idaho. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Rick, you're right. The knife that made me preorder a Western Itinomonn from Maxim is the 210 Nashiji KU Itinomonn. They are fantastic knives. Beautiful grinds, fantastic food release and incredible feel...I'll be keeping my Itinomonn for a long long time.
    I was able to pick up the last one of the westerns from Maxim, and I'm stoked to get ahold of it. You guys are such enablers, it's awesome!!!