Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Echizen uchihamono video

Echizen uchihamono video

Just saw this documentary about Takefu Knife Village:

Nice to put faces to some of the names we hear about.

At 21:15 I could swear Tim is one of our members. Pretty sure I hung out with him at an ECG or in the city with Son. Possibly both. Is it Line Cooked or we were with Line Cooked as well. It was a while ago but I do remember following up with him at JB Prince and he gave me his business card. Cool guy.

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Very nice video, thanks for posting it!

I wish there was something like this here in the US for knifemakers, especially for us kitchen knife makers.

It would be wonderful to be part of something larger than what oneself can accomplish alone plus the support and exchange of information would be priceless.

It was pretty heartening to see the masters step back and encourage the younger makers to further the craft and practice their own methods. Lots of respect for those guys.

Is this the video where they go to NYC? Sorry I'm on the mobile app and can't load KKF videos
    A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.

A good place to go and attend a 1 day play activity to make a knife.. with instructions and hands on at each step ( whole process) from cutting to shape,forging, power hammering,annealing, sharpening on big wheel to stone and the Kanji engraving! I do not speak japanese and only rely on the good eyeballs only. Pretty much gave up on the kanji engraving... aft 30min of practice.. cant even hammer a straight line. Settled for a triangle for my signature. For the experience.. abt usd 130 and i get a santoku in a box and more importantly... an appreciation for the difficult task at each step... Final analysis...I dont want to be a knifemaker....

Oh ....by the way... the show pieces are available for sale and its a good time to pick up some knives.. saw a few suminagashi blue steel by Kitoaka wch I thought was a very fair price and bought a few knives for friends including a lefty deba.. and not to mention a knife by Shiro Kamo and Hiroshi Kato. Met the last 2 makers as they were there.... Its good to put a live face to the handmade items that i enjoy using.

A direct express train ride that costs abt usd 90 with reserved seat and a 3hour ride from osaka main station... and i stayed in an airBnb..

hv fun Z

If you go to Echizen, make sure to go to the Soba place they recommend

A good knives wont make you better, only practice will, a good knife should make you practice.