(more) Nice work PT!
(more) Nice work PT!
Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.
So this thread inspired me to test my gyutos out and here are the results. The test was completed with a bag of russet potatoes on the same day under the same conditions. I will list the best first and going down the list they will progressively get worse.
1. Marko 255mm Gyuto 52100 - Best
2. Devin Thomas 240mm ITK #2 - Very close to Marko's
3. Konosuke White #2 240mm
4. Fujiwara 210mm FKH - Not the original geometry since it has been my dedicated user for the last three years
-------At this point, food release no longer happened. The potato slices both thick and thin stayed with the blade instead of staying on the board-------
5. Rader 240mm 52100 - Sharpest knife I own, literally acts as if there is no food when cutting, but food release isn't amazing
6. Shigefusa 240mm - Second sharpest knife I own compared to the Rader with the Marko coming in 3rd
7. Yoshikane 240mm Gyuto (Marko tweaked these back in the day)
8. Unknown VG10 210mm Gyuto purchased from Stefan
9. Richmond Addict super tuned by Dave
10. Joe Calton 10" Chef's Knife in 1095 (has a full flat grind so no surprise here, but cuts like the dickens)
11. 9" Forgecraft (needs a lot of work)
No Pete, How did the Devin fair? My 250 ITK is the best cutter I have.
One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.
The top three remain unchanged, the Fujiwara was completely different the second time I used it for the potato test so who knows. The DT is from Devin's first batched and is inscribed with "#2" so I imagine it was part of the first 10. I purchased it from another member a year and a half ago and that member had spent some time thinning the original grind so mine is definitely not stock.
Have one to add.
Moritaka Damascus 240mm Gyuto
I'm so surprise Moritaka's food release performance....
Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!
I love that board and typically a mirror polish does not help with stiction. Nice video Magnus!