Media Food Release Videos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's been a lot of discussion concerning food release lately, so I thought it might be useful to show how different knives handle cutting food with fairly large "stiction" characteristics, namely, the common potato.

Feel free to post your own videos to this thread.

Rick

First knife up is the Gesshin Heiji 24 cm semi-stainless wa-gyuto:

[video=youtube;FKjiUoDxaJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKjiUoDxaJQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Awesome! Thanks for the videos Rick. The Itinomonn seems like a wicked cutter.

Cool stuff! Thanks. What is your opinion as to what the difference is between the knives that release well and those that don't? Geometry? Finish? Both?

Cool stuff! Thanks. What is your opinion as to what the difference is between the knives that release well and those that don't? Geometry? Finish? Both?

From the limited sample of knives I've done videos for, it's primarily geometry, although stiction increases somewhat with the degree of polishing of the blade.

So....FINALLY...there's my answer, instead of reading these relentless, never ending discussions. All I have to do to solve my sticktion problem with potatoes, is save up $500 to buy the Gesshin Heiji 240mm Semi-Stainless Wa-Gyuto. Problem gone. Poof. ;-)

Interesting

I've got a Tadatsuna western handled 300mm gyuto. I needed to cut up potatoes and was surprised how well the Tadatsuna did. There was very little stickage.

Back when Michael Radar was doing a pass around, Johnny Chance had no issues with cutting up potatoes, while Theory, with the same knife, had all sorts of problems. It's puzzling that the exact same knife, could have such different results.

Jay

Interesting

I've got a Tadatsuna western handled 300mm gyuto. I needed to cut up potatoes and was surprised how well the Tadatsuna did. There was very little stickage.

Back when Michael Radar was doing a pass around, Johnny Chance had no issues with cutting up potatoes, while Theory, with the same knife, had all sorts of problems. It's puzzling that the exact same knife, could have such different results.

Jay

I think Rick's vids are excellent and love that he took so much of his time to share his results with us but I hope that everyone keeps Jay's comments in mind, I'd hate to see this or that claimed as fact when it's very possible to have another individual come up with different results. Maybe everyone should make a series of vids like this? We'd sure have a true average then. Anyway, thanks to Rick for all his hard work doing this.

I think Rick's vids are excellent and love that he took so much of his time to share his results with us but I hope that everyone keeps Jay's comments in mind, I'd hate to see this or that claimed as fact when it's very possible to have another individual come up with different results. Maybe everyone should make a series of vids like this? We'd sure have a true average then. Anyway, thanks to Rick for all his hard work doing this.

I agree with the comments from Jay and Dave. I've used knives that were talked up as fantastic performers in KKF (and other forums) that fell short of my expectations. So my videos should be taken as only one piece of the puzzle.

Some variables that affect stiction are the variety of potato (starchy or waxy) as well as the width of the slice (a thick slice is heavier and will drop off easier than a thin one). There may well be effects from technique that play a part in food release.

Rick

Did anyone else listen to how each knife cut?

Also, I noticed with a few, like the Masamoto, Rick was more comfortable using the heel end.

Very interesting. I thought the Yoshikane had a good balance of release, and smooth sounding slices.

That DT made me smile a bit.

So.... what are you going to cook up with all the potatoes?

Great share, PT! I had 3 thoughts as I watched these:

1) I think the comments about technique are right on, I recall Salty saying something similar as well.
2) If I did this thread, it would have had a lot fewer vids in it...nice collection PT!
3) Having potato soup tonight?

Latest posts

Back