knife storage - bodum?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryn

Reaction score
While aesthetically it's not terribly attractive, I've found using this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-Universal-Knife-Block/dp/B003NG2CMC
to be quite convenient. You have to be careful when putting the knives in it to avoid them hitting one another, but once that becomes second nature it is convenient on an island to be able to pull them out.

The reason it's not terribly attractive is that as you can imagine with 27 cm knives they stick way out of it.

Most importantly, I've taken for granted Bodum's assurances that it doesn't wear down the knife blades. The tips don't touch the bottom or anything (the brush hairs stop it about halfway through), and what I'm hoping is that hte plastic is soft enough that it can't really impact the edge.

That said, I was wondering if anyone had any experience or opinions on these?

If you're not familiar, the way it worse is by essentially inverting a plastic broom head and sticking it in a casing of the same size such that the bristles can move around inside but not flare out. When you stick a knife in it pushes the bristles away, but once it is about 4-5 inches in the weight of the knife is distributed across so many bristles that they hold it up, like a wedge.

I'm debating switching to storing in sayas, but I've heard mixed opinions on that. Ideally I'd store in a stand like http://korin.com/Wooden-Knife-Stand-6pc, which really would put no chemical or mechanical burden on the knives and make them easy to access, but for something so simple its a bit pricey for me atm.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bodum was terrible for me, my knives actually cut into the thingies, I returned it...

Why somebody doesn't make a knife block with mostly gyuto size slots is something I have long wondered, the closest thing I found was the Williams and SOnama block but it to has too many small slots.

I would be very uncomfortable reaching for a knife in that if there were other knives with 2 or more inches of very sharp blade sticking out. From other reading too they seam to wear out quickly too.
I have a magnetic knife strip in my kitchen hung high enough that little hands can't get to them.

I have two of these bodum blocks on the bench. Pretty happy with them, particularly because they were about $14 each and fits many gyuto size knives. I put deba, usuba, and other short thick knives in the big slot.

1_61120_227_227.jpg

I have two of these bodum blocks on the bench. Pretty happy with them, particularly because they were about $14 each and fits many gyuto size knives. I put deba, usuba, and other short thick knives in the big slot.

1_61120_227_227.jpg

Where can you order those in Oz?

Seb, I got mine from VB, see this link for ref: http://www.victoriasbasement.com.au/Product_Detail.aspx?ProductID=61120

However, my suggestion is to go in, examine, and pick one with good fit and finish and regularly sized slots as QC for the stock is quite varying. It is not much of a problem with laser gyuto where 240mm edge length still fits nicely, but if you want to put knives with some heft in it then extra check will help.

I have four already from VB but couldn't find them on the website. Thought they no longer stock them. Will have to go to warehouse and take a look.

I am not sure why there is not enough demand to make vertical blocks that can fit multiple long knifes. I guess most people use knife sets, but would think someone would specialize in them. I was lucky to get one from the Boardsmith before (I believe) he quit making them.

/\
||
That block looks very uncomfortable to draw or put away the knives if it seats on a counter. I would never use one in my current kitchen.

The bodum was terrible for me, my knives actually cut into the thingies, I returned it...

+1, but I was too lazy to return it. It's designed with dull knives in mind.

Back