Towns where Japan's Greatest Swordsmiths are located?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimmer

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know which cities or towns in Japan feature the greatest contemporary Japanese blade/swordsmiths?

I heard it was Sakurai city. Not really sure though. Maybe Dr Naka can chip in here

there are several in Tokyo. some of the oldest are in or near seki and others scattered all around. there's a book called modern Japanese swordsmiths that has most of them in it.

bill... no one forges in tokyo... they all have workshops outside of tokyo because of strict regulations

most tokyo-based forge in ibaragi (which has been severely effected by the earthquake/tsunami/reactor meltdown issue)

bill... no one forges in tokyo... they all have workshops outside of tokyo because of strict regulations

most tokyo-based forge in ibaragi (which has been severely effected by the earthquake/tsunami/reactor meltdown issue)

The only one I actually visited was Yoshindo Yoshihara, he has a smithy in his yard and a work shop above his garage were he does foundation polishing and has others making fittings. I guess that he could be in another city but it was all Tokyo to me. He also told us that he has a "farm" in the country.

Back