Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What to get

Lots of great ideas so far.

I think that I would like to start with the cleaver, so now there is the question of which one.

A quick question, for those who have used both the Dexter Russell and the CCK, which one is taller?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

Like you are going to make me go measure? I don't remember them being much different but I do know I have Chinese cleavers that are too tall for my style of cooking. They probably work in a high volume restaurant kitchen but they aren't ideal for the two person type meals I mostly fix.

Julian, evidently there are two sizes. I would recommend the smaller one for a home cook. You can find both sizes here.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

There seems to be alot of belly on that particular cleaver, but, other than that, it is only 3" tall, which sounds great.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

CCK1303. I like the Tojiro ITK, but the cladding rusts fast! The white steel is fine, and I like nakiris. But the cladding on the Tojiro is an oxidizing monster.

wow. that small dexter cleaver weighs 1.2 pounds? thats a bit heavy. most full size cleavers are lighter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    wow. that small dexter cleaver weighs 1.2 pounds? thats a bit heavy. most full size cleavers are lighter than that.
    They charge shipping by weight, so not sure how they figure that...may be shipping weight. They are very helpful though if you call.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I bought my wok at their actual shop lol. The old lady/owner is a bit on the crazy side.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Julian, I think that for you a nakiri would be better than a tall cleaver atm. Give it a few years after you have grown to get the cleaver (if I remember right you are at about 13 yo.)
    Chewie's the man.

I have progressed to 14 at this point.

So, maybe a used knife is a better idea.