Quantcast
What to get - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to get

I would still say get a solid cheap carbon gyuto - Fujiwara FKH or the Suisin High Carbon. But if you want a different shape and something cheaper might want to check the stuff under "Country Style" on Japan Woodworker. I've never tried any of them but they seem to be what you looking for, sure the handles are rather shite.

So I am now leaning towards the CCK.

If I do decide to buy the CCK, do you have any tips on care, sharpening, not losing a finger, and/or storage?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I will stick with a known cleaver, and the gyutos are a bit above what I want to spend.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes --Marcel Proust--

Dexter Russel Carbon Steel Chinese Cleaver/Chef's Knife.

It's a little thicker than Chinese Vegetable Cleaver, decent fit and finish, it's available for less than $40 (check your local restaurant supply store or online), durable, and takes a wicked edge off of a 1000 grit stone. I used one for years and still have it.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I was under the impression that Dexter Russell cleavers weren't very good, but I guess I was wrong. I will take a look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nell View Post
    I was under the impression that Dexter Russell cleavers weren't very good, but I guess I was wrong. I will take a look at them.
    How did you get that impression?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Now that I think about it, I don't remember.

There are those that want to pretend anything from outside the US is just naturally better than a Russell but their cleavers have been used by many professional chefs for years. Other than I have a mountain of other cleaves I've picked up in my travels, I have nothing against a Dexter Russell. The fit and finish is actually very good compared to the average cleaver used in China.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Nell View Post
    Talim, you suggested I get the knife off of eBay, but I would like to buy whatever I get from somewhere with a return policy in case I am truly displeased with my choice.
    330mate does have a return policy but good for 14 days only. Why don't you post a "WTB" ad in the b/s/t forum instead? I'm sure one of the guys here will give you a good knife for a better deal than you can buy anywhere online or anywhere for that matter.

my vote is for cck. definitely pick a cleaver over a nakiri, cleavers are better multitaskers.