Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justifying value towards uninitiated

Justifying value towards uninitiated

Hi kitchen knife connaisseurs,

You paid how much for a knife? I bought a whole knife block for $10!

That bothers me. I'm not sure if any of you appreciaters of the finer kitchen cutlery find yourselves in situations like these. But I'm wondering if any of you bother to try and explain anything about cutlery, and if so what, to such people. It's probably best to ignore it, but man, that's tough. And people just nod off when you try to explain properties of different steel types. Can you blame them really?

By far the most convincing is when you can let them handle a bargain bin knife and a nice kitchen knife so they can compare them. But what if you can't do that....

How do you deal with this? I'm just curious, venting a bit of frustration i'm afraid.

If people are only interested in cheapest, then you are wasting your breath. It is a choice. The same choices apply to cars, guitars, pianos, televisions, in fact every thing, even food.

In my experience, there are people who don't cook,
    and then there are foodie friends who do at least a bit of cooking at home.

My knives are rather well maintained, even my Tojiro DP is better than the knives of 99.5% of my what my friends own.
    It feels like a laser scalpel compared to what they work with.
    I rarely talk about price and cost.
    The only reaction I get is "omg, this knife is so sharp".
    And fear.

I don't have the urge to name-drop the price of my good knives. It's irrelevant.

They either care about the knives, and see the light of what a properly maintained knife can do.
    or
    It's like talking to a brick wall, so there's not point in wagging about your $-peen.

I let the doubters cut with my knife, if they cant see the difference then there is no hope for them.

It's not necessary to justify how you choose to spend your money. Clearly, if you're buying high quality knives, you think it's worth it.
    I find it a joyful experience to cut with a sharp, well-made knife, and that's what makes it worth it for me.
    A lot of people will think you're crazy for your choices. Whatever.
    I don't tend to talk about specific costs unless a) the person seems to have some understanding of why I like these knives so much, and b) they really want to know.

Welcome! You won't be judged here.

It's like trying to justify a meal at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant to someone who thinks Mickey Dees is fine dinning. Or trying to explain to someone who thinks AYCE sushi is just as good as sushi from a great itamae.

You just have to accept the fact that people appreciates different things in life. Alternatively, you can pick something they really like and troll them in similar manner for fun. I do that with people who Car nuts a lot...
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    I let the doubters cut with my knife, if they cant see the difference then there is no hope for them.
    I don't care, but if you want, just mince up some paper or do that drop-cut test. Or just start cutting stuff in front of them; they'll trust you just seeing your technique.

Hahaha+1 on the car examples. I care about knives but not about cars so I use it a lot to people who don't understand.

Let them try it. The only way I found this people become interested in fine cutlery is when they try it for at least few days and then move back to their $10 block.
    However, worth noting, that many of them will still not care.