Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any kitchen knife in Sandvik 12C27?

Any kitchen knife in Sandvik 12C27?

Sharpened a stainless Opinel today, and wondered why I haven't yet seen its steel being used for kitchen knives. Very easy sharpening, almost carbon like, just a little more abrasion resistance, and asking a little more attention with deburring. All one may expect.
    No idea yet of its edge holding properties. According to my first impression the stuff is a little harder than Opinel's carbon (XC90).
    Any thoughts?

I own a couple in 12c27, Frost's/Mora makes these and they retail for like ~$45 and even less depending on what model.

I like the knives they make for butchery, regarding the kitchen knives... I would rather spend some dollars more and get a fujiwara or something like that.

http://moraofsweden.se/products/food
    [FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][I]-"we're gonna make gluten free lasagna"[/I][/FONT]

Bark River made their kitchen series knives in 12C27, but have switched from Sandvik to Crucible in their current versions.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

It's similar to AEB-L and 13C26 but with a little less carbon and a little more chrome. AEB-L will have better edge holding and 12C27 will have a little more stain resistance. It is made for cutlery and was developed for blanking. I like AEB-L better.

Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by Twistington View Post
    I own a couple in 12c27, Frost's/Mora makes these and they retail for like ~$45 and even less depending on what model.http://moraofsweden.se/products/food
    I had one of their chefs knives. A little thick behind the edge but geometry was very decent for the price (similar to Richmond Artifex). You're right about needing more attention for deburring. Edge holding wasn't great, but that was probably due to sub-optimal heat treat. In general I've found that the heat-treat (or whatever magic goes into the forging process) has a much great impact than the type of steel. 12C27 shouldn't be that much different from AEB-L, but the Artifex is leaps and bounds better than the Mora

Back when I was selling meat packing knives, the Swedish Frosts were all 12C27. Most of the west coast commercial fishing industry preferred them over the other brands and they always performed well for me.

I have Mora 2000 which is a kind-of outdoor/camping knife. It offers really great performance for the money (around 25 Euro). I have sharpened mine recently and with little effort I got a shaving sharp edge. The edge retention is medium -not as good as higher RC (and different steel) Japanese kitchen knives and not as 'bad' as German kitchen knives, but it is also designed for different purpose. The blade is also very stiff even though that it is rather thin and seems very chip/roll resistant. I am still considering getting a different handle on it (the green plastic is not that appealing and bit too large for me).

If the Mora kitchen knives are of the same quality, than they could be great choice if budget is tight.

Thank you, guys, that was very informative.

I've got one of the earlier Bark River small chefs in 12c27, and it's perfectly fine. It's not as hard, nor does it take as fine an edge, as the best stainless, but it's a good knife. It's rather thick behind the edge for most people's standards here, but it's a solid knife that I can share with others and take on trips without worrying about it much. It's fairly sturdy and easy to sharpen, so it's pretty foolproof.

I wouldn't otherwise seek out 12c27, though.