Japanese Knives some recently complete sharpening/repair jobs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
I know i always forget the before pics... sorry.

The masamotos were in for rehandling and sharpening. The honyaki was also refinished, polished, etc.

The nenohi kiritsuke was in for a broken tip repair and sharpening (as well as general cleanup) and the takobiki (forged by shiraki-san and ground by murray carter) was in for sharpening repair and rehandling.

1091027_10151638083698860_1375444028_o.jpg

1008644_10151638083653860_255306475_o.jpg

1102647_10151638083943860_2077403023_o.jpg

1149689_10151638084238860_444575753_o.jpg

1149693_10151638084308860_1628994543_o.jpg

Got a better pic of the tip on the kiritsuke? I'm curious to see what you did with it.

Nice work Jon! I can almost see your finger print in that one shot.

How much of a time commitment was involved in polishing with the finger stones Jon. They were beautiful.

Hours of work were involved with the mirror finish, but the rest were easier. The honyaki took me about an hour to do though.

Jon, the finish on the honyaki is stunning. Would you be able to achieve close to the same result using wet/dry sand paper and consistently increasing the grit?

I've gone up to 12000 grit Micromesh, and it doesn't look nearly like that.

White rouge and a buffing wheel work though.

I finish off with Cape Cod polish after fine sandpaper. It does give a nice mirror-like look.

if you don't mind me asking in the open, Jon, what kind of cost would be involved for a Honyaki re-handle, and a utilitarian polish (bringing out the hamon, but not mirroring)?

our rehandle pricing is on the website here:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

as far as the polishing goes, it depends on the knife and condition of the knife. Also, i always have to sharpen the knife too after work like that, so the base price for sharpening double bevel knives right now is $15. Polishing can add anywhere from $20 or more to that base price depending on the knife, condition, etc.

our rehandle pricing is on the website here:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

as far as the polishing goes, it depends on the knife and condition of the knife. Also, i always have to sharpen the knife too after work like that, so the base price for sharpening double bevel knives right now is $15. Polishing can add anywhere from $20 or more to that base price depending on the knife, condition, etc.

You're not making much money on this, are you? I should take advantage, because re-finishing a honyaki is just a real pain in the ass, in my experience. :)

i try to keep it fair for everyone... but i now have to limit my work in sharpening and repairs... for example, i only do japanese kitchen knives (and some american custom knives) now days... and no ken onion shuns. The vast majority of work i get for sharpening (other than the honbadzuke i do in store) are really high end knives... honyaki, custom work, etc. Very time consuming stuff and high expectations.

Also, i'm pretty fast at this stuff now days :p

Once my wife is working again, I'll be in touch, my friend. :)

Back