Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanagiba Hocho at Fine-tools

Yanagiba Hocho at Fine-tools

I am wondering if this is any good. Prices seem too good to be true?

http://www.fine-tools.com/messer2.htm#ziel309203

I am starting to look for a Yanagiba and have many considerations. Wantanabe is one of the main places I am considering but I would not mind a slightly more cheaper knife to practice with. I can't see any specifications though on hardness, etc.

Thoughts?

cheers,
    Shamus

i dont think a yanagiba could be any good at that price. i wouldnt buy it.

@berko, I was sort of under the same impression.

Why not? I guess it depends on what you are aiming for. You get waht you pay...This ist a simple no frills massproduction knife. I haven seen pros working with much much worse.....For this price you cannot expect a nice handle and rounded spins et al. But you can expect a decent industrial grind an ht....

Quote Originally Posted by DerSnap View Post
    I am wondering if this is any good. Prices seem too good to be true?

. I can't see any specifications though on hardness, etc.
    Why is everyone so obssesed with the HRC anyway? This tells you nothing about the quality, sharpness or f&f of a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by banjo1071 View Post
    Why is everyone so obssesed with the HRC anyway? This tells you nothing about the quality, sharpness or f&f of a knife.

That is true, but if your coming in at a 56 you might expect not such a nice slicer, no?
    Handles can be swapped of course, but I am of the less is more camp. Hate collecting junk, or stuff that won't last, or I want to keep. Creates too much waste and IMHO a big problem in the world.

My bikes, Clothes, food, Espresso Machine, studio gear (drum machines, synths, etc.) all fall into that.
    But to be honest I have custom made dress shirts that cost a fraction of my Kiton's and are superior in every way. Actually cheaper than off the rack Hugo Box types, if ya catch my drift.

That is true, but if your coming in at a 56 you might expect not such a nice slicer, no?
    Handles can be swapped of course, but I am of the less is more camp. Hate collecting junk, or stuff that won't last, or I want to keep. Creates too much waste and IMHO a big problem in the world.

My bikes, Clothes, food, Espresso Machine, studio gear (drum machines, synths, etc.) all fall into that.
    But to be honest I have custom made dress shirts that cost a fraction of my Kiton's and are superior in every way. Actually cheaper than off the rack Hugo Box types, if ya catch my drift.

The manufacturer, Fujitora, also makes the Tojiro DP and the ITK knives sold at another website. The prices are in line for a no frills knife. Nothing fancy, but perfectly serviceable.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Thanks PT, that is information that helps.
    Don't get me wrong like I said earlier its nice to have a practice knife on, especially with my wife, brother in law (German Chef), etc to play with.
    I do have my mind on a Wantanabe, but that will have to wait a few months.

Of course you might. This is not a "nice" slicer, but even at Hrc 56 (wich is most unlikely) it would be a knife perfectly suited for 99 percent of the worlds cooks. If you dont cook in a pro envirioment it is most unlikely that you will ever wear this knife down. Even if this would be HRC 56, wich is surely not the case...

^^ Depends on what you cut

Yes with proteins its should not be an issue. Still to say my German knifes, Globals, are able to get as nice an edge as my MCD 7000s or other higher carbon knives is misleading, that is my only point. I do agree that it is likely better than 99% of what many so called pro chefs use, but like I ever cared what the 99% is.