New Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.o.t

Reaction score
Hi, a very good afternoon to 1 & all.

I am a very eager home cook & starting cook lots more these days. I am also in now in a position the spend on some decent knives BUT I have just spent all morning reviewing, re reviewing & going over & over so many sites my head is numb. I am looking for a cracking set of knives to start me off. Looking for a 3 knives Petty, Gyuto & a Santoku (small, medium & large :lol2: ) get me sounds like I know something. UNsure wether to go German or Japanese, Any way money is really no option but as I am just a home cook I really don't want to over spend for the sake of it.
Would any of you nice people be able to recommend some cutters for me. I have been using 4 Sabatiers for the last 10 years, bought as a student for £50, served me well but now my cash flow is better want to buy something nice & to last me.
Thanx in anticipation,
Rgds,
JH

Last edited:
Welcome!

Nothing wrong with someone Sabs, provided theyre made in France; not China.
Are they carbon or stainless?

Everyone here will likely recommend buying each knife individually possibly from different mfg's; not as a set.

Start with the big one and work your way back from there.
Massamoto KS is japanese, but patterned on the classic sab shape so it should be sorta familiar for you.
Theres another brand sold by blueway on ebay thats also similarly profiled.

Your use of "crackin" leads me to wonder if youre in the UK, in which case it would seem mandatory that you get at least 1 knife from Will Catchide (afaik the best kitchen bladesmith in the UK.)

Back