Quantcast
New Knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Knives

Hmmm, Wales.
    Id say call in to Will and go from there:
    http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/

welcome by the way!

If I may echo a sentiment; that is learning to sharpen your knives will set you free . The "sharpeners" or kits are good in that they teach you the importance of the constant angle when sharpening. There is a lot to learn on this site.

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by m.o.t View Post
    What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) ALL THE ABOVE
    If you are going to use these knives to actually break through poultry bones, and may not sharpen these knives on your own, you are going to need purchase knives that are durable. I definitely think that certain higher end knives are not going to be appropriate.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    Hmmm, Wales.
    Id say call in to Will and go from there:
    http://www.catchesidecutlery.com/
    maybe that is a good option. btw, hereford is quite a nice place...

Welcome to the forum, and the small Wales-based forumites club!

Catcheside a no-brainer if you have the budget. If you are looking at Japanese knives, be aware that many British e-tailers are total rip-off merchants. I can tell you from experience that JCK ship from Seki to Cardiff in 3/4 days, from experience. FWIW, I think that the Hiromoto AS (which was incredibly in-vogue at one point, as a relatively inexpensive Aogami Super knife) has mediocre geometry when it leaves the factory, so would avoid them personally. In this price bracket I would look (somewhat predictably) at the JCK Carbonext.

I still like the hiro AS, it's more fun to sharpen than the carbonext, the profile on the gyuto is a touch flatter which I like and the contrast at the cladding line looks badass.

As far as the geometry goes, i think that the 210 is just fine and the 240 is pretty good. The handles are a touch nicer than the CN, and the kanji looks better.

Yes as timthebeaver says, I'd look at buying from JCK pretty much, you'll save a fortune in shipping costs and Import Fees and all that. I have a Carbonext and I like it a lot

yes carbonex is a very good knife

Thanx all opinions much appriciated. As alreday stated I am not looking to become a knifer as a hobby, just looking for some really quality experienced views / comments to help me make a rational decission, which so far I have.